Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marianobles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
    Son being threatened
    My son is in jail for robbery, one of his neighbors was raided and arrested when they found coke in her home( someone tipped off police and they had a warrant to search her house.) Now she and her family are saying my son was the informant and if they hear that he snitched on them to the police they are putting out a hit on his life. Many of his friends have heard this and have come to my daughter with this information. They say he snitched while in jail to get his sentenced reduced. Hearing that there is a threat against him has my whole family upset, and worried. Is there anything that can be done to protect him?
    marianobles Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 05:44 PM

Sorry I forgot to add we live in travis county, in austin, Texas.
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Aug 14, 2009, 09:37 PM

People often say things like that in the heat of the moment but as time goes on, feelings get less intense.If they were really serious and had good connections, they could've already had him beat up or killed right there in jail. It happens all the time. Let the jail he's in know that he has a threat on his life. Do you know if the people threatening have any gang affiliation? Because typically if the person is in a gang, he will have one of his homies who's in jail too perform the beat down. If you know of the gang this guy might be in, report that information to the facility too, as they know exactly who's who as far as the gang bangers, so it's possible thy might separate him to another area if possible, if they take you seriously.

My husband works as a Corrections Officer and he gets threatened all day long every day, in fact not only he, but me and our kids too. They're going to kill me, rape me, kill our kids, the worst things you can imagine, but it's all talk.

I know it's hard for you and you fear for your son, but the rate of actual payback, esp payback that end in a murder is rare. Except in gangs. So if this is gang related, then you may have to worry more. If you live in a smallish town and this is not gang related, you probably don't have much to worry about. Make reports so that it's known to the police that he has been threatened, so there's record of it. That will help you in case you may need to get a restraining order. Having prior reports always helps.

Is it possible that your son could just move when he gets out of jail? That might alleviate some of your worry.

I hope your son is OK and I really hope nothing happens. Hopefully it was just stuff said in anger and as time goes by they'll get over it.

Maybe someone else has other suggestions?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 07:02 AM

Your local jail will have an area for protective custody (PC) and if there is a credible threat, he can be put in there. Once he is out... well... Texas is a big state. I'd find somewhere else for him to live. Rats are a special kind of low in the criminal community. He ratted out someone else to save his own butt... so I wouldn't listen to passmeby at all since she is clueless when it comes to most things not bartending. The rules aren't the same in middle of no where Oklahoma, hon.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 08:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by marianobles View Post
    Now she and her family are saying my son was the informant and if they hear that he snitched on them to the police they are putting out a hit on his life.
    Hello m:

I'd get a copy of the search warrant. It's a matter of public record. Attached to the warrant will be an affidavit. The affidavit is written by the snitch. If it's NOT your son, show it to the neighbor. If it IS your son, I'd move. The cops aren't going to protect him... They got what they wanted from him.

excon

Aug 15, 2009, 08:52 AM

Steve, your maturity level astounds me. I gave basically the same answer you did... tell the jail, get him moved into PC, MOVE when he gets out, so what is wrong with my answer? NOTHING, it is a good answer. If you don't like me, fine, but grow up for pete's sake.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 09:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    Steve, your maturity level astounds me. I gave basically the same answer you did.....tell the jail, get him moved into PC, MOVE when he gets out, so what is wrong with my answer? NOTHING, it is a good answer. If you don't like me, fine, but grow up for pete's sake.
    I suspect what you know of gangs and jailhouse payback you learned on Oz, right?

That's what I'm talking about you being clueless about. I don't have anything personal against you, but you are talking out your butt for most of this posting that THAT is what I have an issue with.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    I suspect what you know of gangs and jailhouse payback you learned on Oz, right?

Thats what im talking about you being clueless about. I dont have anything personal against you, but you are talking out your butt for most of this posting that THAT is what I have an issue with.

A day or two ago a moderator posted that if the bad advice, useless arguing, defensive posturing continues this person will be suspended. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ud-362333.html.

Moderator?

I find it difficult to believe that the husband of an admitted addict is in any type of law enforcement - or Oklahoma simply doesn't check backgrounds.

No, I think this is more legal advice from the school of "I Saw It In a Made for TV Movie." You know, the one where all the people got killed and/or beaten up in prison for being informants - can't think of the name of it.

EDIT: Upon rethinking this it seems that someone whose husband is in law enforcement is so out of touch with the legal system, so unsure what do do, when arrested for possession of a firearm while intoxicated.

Criminal possession of firearms while intoxicated - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ml#post1924502

MORE possession of firearms while intoxicated - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...er-347174.html
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Sometimes your self control astonishes me - and amuses me, too. I must take lessons from you. Some day.
    I have toddlers. Im used to it. :)

Aug 15, 2009, 08:35 PM

I'm not arguing here, but wow, just wondering exactly what I said that was so wrong/incorrect to get treated like this? I honestly have no clue and I do honestly want to know. Just PM me.

Edit: On second thought, never mind, don't bother. I'll just leave on my own, you don't have to suspend me. I'll only come back to check the question I just asked, once I get an answer I'll never come back. Does that suit you?
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 04:06 AM

Gotcha a lot of hard core gang activity in podunk OK, do you?

"Gun toting redneck hick" is not actually a gang, you know.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 06:31 AM
    Gotcha a lot of hard core gang activity in podunk OK, do ya?

"Gun toting redneck hick" is not actually a gang, you know.

I wonder how small the lettering would have to be in order to put "Gun Toting Rednick Hick" on the back of the gang jacket?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 06:32 AM
    I'm not arguing here, but wow, just wondering exactly what I said that was so wrong/incorrect to get treated like this? I honestly have no clue and I do honestly want to know. Just PM me.

edit: On second thought, nevermind, don't bother. I'll just leave on my own, you don't have to suspend me. I'll only come back to check the question I just asked, once I get an answer I'll never come back. Does that suit you?

You cannot post this for absolutely no reason that I can see ("Steve, your maturity level astounds me. I gave basically the same answer you did... tell the jail, get him moved into PC, MOVE when he gets out, so what is wrong with my answer? NOTHING, it is a good answer. If you don't like me, fine, but grow up for pete's sake.") and then turn yourself into the victim.

You, in fact, are the aggressor, the totally uncalled for aggressor.

Here is just one of your incorrect answers - https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...ud-362333.html Here's one where you wouldn't believe either a legal expert or an insurance expert: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/small-...ml#post1862852.

As a side note - you like side notes - we all started here as strangers and earned our stripes as we went along. For whatever reason you are having difficulty with people and other people who have joined are not.

I'd look at myself first before I began blaming other people for my problems.

Aug 16, 2009, 07:54 AM

Well, I disagree because steve made fun of me in a childish way FIRST, and is still making fun of me, I don't see how his behavior is applauded, this is a joke. It's so immature, but whatever. Why not just either say nothing or say it in "big people words"-like "Where are you getting this information from?". It's never OK to make fun of someone, is it? How am I the aggressor when someone makes a nasty post at ME first? I don't have a problem with anyone here, I do have a problem with the immaturity of a couple people. We should all perhaps take a look at ourselves. Look at your past few posts here, and tell me you think that's OK?! GMAB, it's completely childish. I may have given an incorrect answer or misunderstood the OP's question, but that's no reason to make fun of me constantly. Everyone makes mistakes, big deal. Correct me and move on. Take the chance to be a teacher, there's no need to be so childish all the time. PM me and say something. People are way more apt to listen to and respond beter to a more helping voice than this childish, make fun of everyone garbage.

Anyway, my husband works in a prison with ALL the usual gangs and some more concentrated to our area, and ABSOLUTELY orders from "the outside" get inside through letters, visits or directly from Guards who are affiliated with gangs. A common letter type that is an order might have cursive letters mixed with printed letters that are in yet another type of code. Statements in a letter such as (most common) "She had the baby, it's a BOY or GIRL.....the BOY or on the other hand, GIRL would be the order-kill or not, beat down, whatever. Those are the most common examples, there are way more intricate codes of course but there's no need to go into it here, you can look it up for yourself if you're interested. Inmates pass letters called "kites" passed between cells that commonly contain orders or heads up.

All I was trying to say in my first post was that this guy is NOT safe in jail. Orders to beat up or kill are commonly brought in from the outside. I told the OP to tell the facility, and they may or may not take her seriously or care. More likely, they won't do anything. People can be put in PC (if there is a PC area) but they do not get individual special attention and there is still no guarantee that nothing's going to happen to them.

Steve, gang problems are no joke or laughing matter. Just this year alone, in my small area, there have been several murders, large drug busts (gang related), drive-by's, etc. A child was killed in a drive by. I don't think that's funny. And I've only lived in OK for a few years now, I am from New York, lived there for 25 years plus.

Child killed: UPDATE: 6-year-old killed in Lawton drive-by shooting - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

More stories, gang related shootings and killings:

Lawton drive-by shooting leaves residents shaken/unharmed - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

UPDATE: Lawton shooting - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Lawton Police investigate drive-by shootings on same street - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Lawton man shot in the head - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Gang violence in Lawton - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

Drive-by shooting targets west Lawton home - KSWO, Lawton, OK- Wichita Falls, TX: News, Weather, Sports. ABC, 24/7, Telemundo -

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=10746485

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=6054520

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=6152095

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=6433731

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=10324303

http://www.kswo.com/Global/story.asp?s=5928100

I could go on and on with these murders and shootings in my "podunk" town (yes EVERY single link is from the same podunk town, and there's many, many more). I don't think it's one bit funny or anything to joke about. The murder rate here is so high compared to the population size, we have a serious problem here. No joking matter at all. Why don't you tell the mother of the 6 year old who was killed a few months ago how funny you think it is.

Judy, I don't know how you can't "see" why I posted that to steve. Red my FIRST post on this thread, then read steve's post right after mine. I said nothing to steve, I only answered the OP's question with factual, correct information. Steve's response included this line
    "so I wouldn't listen to passmeby at all since she is clueless when it comes to most things not bartending. The rules aren't the same in middle of no where Oklahoma, hon.
    If that's not an obvios insult and personal attack, then I don't know what is. I simply called him on it, it IS immature. Is it not? Really?

I still have YET to be told what is incorrect about my answer to this lady. Nothing, that's what.

But don't bother posting to/about me anymore. I have no more reason to come back to the site so I will not see anymore of your posts.

Goodbye. Thanks to everyone who gave me any help over the few years I have been here.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:20 AM
    I could go on and on with these murders and shootings in my "podunk" town (yes EVERY single link is from the same podunk town, and there's many, many more). I don't think it's one bit funny or anything to joke about. The murder rate here is so high compared to the population size, we have a serious problem here. No joking matter at all. Why don't you tell the mother of the 6 year old who was killed a few months ago how funny you think it is.

More of your passiveness/aggressiveness. What does a 6 year old being shot in a drive by have anything to do with the question about someone in jail being threatened?

Quite frankly, in view of some of your posts and your husband's employment you are foolish indeed to provide so much information about where you live.

Otherwise - I'm out of this argument with you. The thread has been hijacked (again), I see no benefit to the OP and, quite frankly, I'm tired of reading your off topic posts.

You have mental health or addiction issues which cause you to repeatedly hijack the legal boards. Uncalled for.

Post correct info the first time, get the chip off your shoulder. Now that you are not doing any new postings, just answering old threads, the incorrect info problem has been solved. You seem to think I am "after" you. That is not the case. When you post that in a two car backing up accident the car that feels the bump is at fault (? ) SOMEONE has to correct you. This says it very clearly:

YOU: "Juy, why must you argue with every post I make?"

ME: "I disagree with your posts because you are consistently incorrect.

I'm an accident investigator; what do you do for a living that qualifies you to answer this question? As far as I have read your experience involves being involved in an auto accident and having a husband who was involved in an auto accident.

I have investigated thousands of auto accidents; Nikosmom has handled thousands of insurance claims and you continue to argue with both of us, posting statements such as "You said you felt a "bump"....that means YOU hit her. What other proof could there be, really, whn you say yourself that YOU felt the impact? Pay her. You're responsible."

Not only is this "opinion" unsound, it's actually laughable. Do you honestly believe that when two cars impact the "bump" is felt ONLY by the driver who is responsible for the accident?"

As much as you would like to believe you are, you are NOT the victim here. In fact, the OP is the victim because he/she received very incorrect info which, in the end, could cause him/her time and money.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 08:37 AM

I wasn't making fun of gang violence. I was making fun of you.

My initial "attack" wasn't in reference to your advice - which I also posted but your little speech after it which sounded like the plot line from an episode of Oz. Knowing what I do about you, it sounds a whole lot like you talking trash for attention (also a regular occurrence)

As for me, I regularly get warnings for being too mean or unnecessarily frank. And yet people agree with me, frequently before my posts are deleted.

Do I have something personal against you? Aside from the fact that your writing comes off as that of a 14 year old with PMS... no... I couldn't care less about you. My issue here is that you sounded like you were posturing to make yourself seem more knowledgeable than you actually are.

Edit: sorry to any 14 year olds with PMS. I did not mean to offend you.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 03:56 PM
    Edit: sorry to any 14 year olds with PMS. I did not mean to offend you.
    Out of greenies.

Judy has my heart but you're a close second ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being Threatened by Grandma [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington. I have a 2 1/2 year old. Her father lives in Oregon. He dumped me when I was 4 months pregnant, saw her at the hospital and once a week later. I moved out of the area to be with my parents for help since he was not around. He hasn't seen her since she was 1 month old. He does...

Threatened to stay away? [ 5 Answers ]

Ive been dating this girl for a few months now and today I received a interesting phone call. I answered it and whoever it was told me to stay away from her and to cease talking to her or he would "beat the crap out of me". I have no idea what could cause a phone call like this considering we are...

Can some, should some one take action if threatened [ 2 Answers ]

I met a girl on craigs list under strickly platonic. We became friends. She had just moved in to her first apartment, and she had no furniture. She is 19, I am 35... I bought her a lamp, Vacuum,chair, pillows, and a few other things... Then I rented at rent a center a bed room...

Being threatened with Fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend of mine that is stating they are going to state that a charge on their account was fraud. I have my paycheck deposited into their account. They informed me that they wrote a check to pay for my cell phone bill. It never showed. I went online and paid the bill, which came out of...

View more questions Search