Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    r2traps Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 06:58 PM
    Should there be water in the washer drain pipe?
    Hi all,

First off, thanks to all the insightful info on this board!

I recently got a newer washing machine. I live in an apartment in a condo building and was experiencing water coming back out the drain pipe.

At first my building mangager told me they were experiencing clogs in the washer lines, and then they did a power wash and flushed out of all the lines. I was hoping this would fix the problem, but it didn't.

After troubleshooting, research, and the advice of my building's plumber (who I would have to pay to actually service the problem), the source of the new problem is the more powerful pump on the new washer. The plumber suggested I extend the washer's drain hose as far down the pipe as possible, and then seal the top of the drain pipe.

I got all my materials together and was about to do it when I looked down the drain pipe and there was water sitting in it. My drain pipe is about 38" high, and I'd say the water reaches about halfway up the pipe. Is this normal? Just don't want to seal the drain pipe if there's a possibility there's a clog in the pipe.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:13 PM
    There should be about 4 maybe 5 inches of water in the trap, but definitely not 18 inches of water in the standpipe.

Sounds like you should have the standpipe snaked out.
    r2traps Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 07:40 PM
    I was worried you would say that! But thanks for your response. I'm also under the impression that my drain pipe stand is fairly long, but maybe that's just the way the builders made things when my building was created.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:53 PM
    As Tom has pointed out a number of times, code issues vary from locale to locale.

If you were in a state that had adopted the UPC (Uniform Plumbing Code), your standpipe would be 2" longer than the maximum allowed -- But would be perfectly acceptable in states where the IPC (International Plumbing Code) or the SPC (Standard Plumbing Code) has been adopted.

Obviously all three work, but it sure does make it difficult for a plumber to just pick up his trade and re-locate elsewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Cleaner in Washer Pipe? [ 1 Answers ]

Would it hurt anything if I tried pouring some drain unclogger like Liquid Plumber in my washing machine drain pipe? It keeps overflowing, but I don't want to create a bigger problem.

Height of drain pipe for washer [ 2 Answers ]

Sorry, but I think this may be a totally rookie question. Instead of having our washing machine discharge into a sanitary tub I added a T to the drain and made a dedicated drain for the washer. The height of the pipe was only about half of the height of the washer itself. Now, when the washer tries...

Can a washer be hooked into my shower/tub water and drain? [ 2 Answers ]

Just wanted to say I've been reading all the advice you guys give out and I have to say I think I'm in good hands... My question is: I have a spare room on the other side of my bathroom that my wife wants me to make into a laundry room.. I can get to all the plumbing like the showerhead and...

3/4" copper pipe for washer drain? [ 20 Answers ]

Parents moved into new ranch style house, and bought new washer/dryer. Drain for washer is what looks like a 1" copper stub with a 3/4" conversion fitting on it. Its about 6" off the ground. plastic bendable hose drain for washer has a rubber gasket-type fitting around it which fits in 2" PVC...

Washer Drain pipe leak [ 5 Answers ]

My washer Drain had a pretty serious leak. It is commomed up with a drain from the suite above me right after the drain trap. The day that it leaked the drains were augered as a part of routine building maintenance. The leak stopped on it's own and hasn't leaked since. Can anyone suggest some...

View more questions Search