Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 14, 2009, 07:30 PM

Your right that is what this is about and since the audience here is paying attention I am drawing attention to this case that will allow this person back in to the NFL in the 2010 season, What about Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams struck and killed a woman while driving drunk in 1998. He was suspended for eight games, allowing him to come back in the middle of the season. He was arrested again for drunk driving in 2004, but was acquitted.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 07:31 PM

I am an Eagle fan because McNabb used to play for my hometown team.Syracuse! Go Orange!
    I abhor what he did but he did his time.
    If we hold our athletes or our politicians to a higher standard ,we are just asking for disappointment.
    One would HOPE that they would be good role models but that is just unrealistic.Sadly.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 11:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I saw the PETA thing.

I'm not a big fan of PETA (I know, shocking) I think they're extremists. But, on this count, I'm on their side!

Go PETA! :)

Maybe Michael Vick will get tackled, break a leg and no longer be able to play. :)
    Love it :D

Hmmm, anyone got some fishing line and a couple of sticks...

Access to the playing field would be great too
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 15, 2009, 07:42 AM

Lot of people up in arms against Vick.

I never liked him as a QB and I certainly do not condone or make light of what he did. However, suggesting he has learned nothing and only will behave due to the fact he has too is not really a fair statement. Those that question his ability to rejoin the league and make millions of dollars after what he did is not really his fault either. I mean he happens to excel in a profession that pays a pretty good wage, if he were a plumber or office worker would one be so quick to say he shouldnot be allowed to continue in his profession, I doubt it sincerely.

Also, comments about him spending the rest of his life behind bars is a bit much. With all do respect to dog lovers and owners he did not torture human's that would warrant him life in prison. Though you could make a case that he got off lightly.
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 07:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BMI View Post
    Lot of people up in arms against Vick.

I never liked him as a QB and I certainly do not condone or make light of what he did. However, suggesting he has learned nothing and only will behave due to the fact he has too is not really a fair statement. Those that question his ability to rejoin the league and make millions of dollars after what he did is not really his fault either. I mean he happens to excel in a profession that pays a pretty good wage, if he were a plumber or office worker would one be so quick to say he shouldnot be allowed to continue in his profession, I doubt it sincerely.

Also, comments about him spending the rest of his life behind bars is a bit much. With all do respect to dog lovers and owners he didnot torture human's that would warrant him life in prison. Though you could make a case that he got off lightly.
    I do agree with you. His extreme wage and public profile does make him a bigger target yes, but I would be just as disgusted at someone in a lower paying job being allowed to go back to their normal life.

I respect your second point as well, no it wasn't a human that he tortured but as I said before, I think that torturing animals is worse in some ways than doing it to a human because a human at least has the chance to fight back.

A boy here in my state was friend with my partner when they were in high school, my partner went over to his house and he had a cat tied up to a crucifix.
    My partner took one look and walked out, never spoke to him again...

A few years back a newsflash came up "The wheelie bin murder"
    That same kid had grown up, killed someone, put them in a rubbish bin and then dumped it in the river.

Animal torture has been linked with a lot of psychiatric problems.

I repects everyone's opinion but mine just happens to be a little more extreme :)
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

Aug 15, 2009, 08:48 AM

Fair enough Shazamataz. Your dedication to animal rights is quite admirable I should add.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 15, 2009, 09:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMewiththat View Post
    Your right that is what this is about andd since the audience here is paying attention I am drawing attention to this case that will allow this person back in to the NFL in the 2010 season, What about Leonard Little of the St. Louis Rams struck and killed a woman while driving drunk in 1998. He was suspended for eight games, allowing him to come back in the middle of the season. He was arrested again for drunk driving in 2004, but was acquitted.
    That is horrible. It warrants a discussion, but this thread is about Michael Vick and his crimes.

BMI, I value your opinion as well. You're right, it's not like he hurt a human being, but something tells me, if he had, he would have gotten a slightly longer prison term and then the offer to play with the Eagles. The only difference would be that more people would be outraged if he had killed and tortured people.

He bought these dogs for the purpose of turning them into vicious killers. Those that couldn't rise to the challenge were executed. He videotaped those executions so he could watch them over and over again.

My belief, it was only a matter of time until he hurt a human being. The road he was on would have lead to that eventually.

You're also right that the reason for most of my outrage is the fact that the job he has been offered will pay him millions. Why should he live in the lap of luxury?

I would feel better about all of this if 1/3 of his paycheck went towards animal shelters.

People have a voice, animals don't. It's up to the humans to protect the animals.

That's how I feel.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 09:33 AM
    My belief, it was only a matter of time until he hurt a human being. The road he was on would have lead to that eventually.
    More than likely, he'll probably become another OJ.

You're also right that the reason for most of my outrage is the fact that the job he has been offered will pay him millions. Why should he live in the lap of luxury?
    This is another argument, why should any athlete get as much as they do? Even chief executives and their annual bonuses that amount to the lowest-payed worker's salary twenty-fold? But yeah, this is the central reason why Vick's been on the chopping block since the indictment. Cock and dog fighting is prevalent in the southern US, and I doubt those that got convicted of torturing animals alone did not get two years in prison.

Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz
    ...but I would be just as disgusted at someone in a lower paying job being allowed to go back to their normal life.
    Why? The one thing in life everyone needs to realize is that people do f**k up and make bad choices but they can learn from them. Ya know there are some guys out there, take a former gang member, who got nabbed and did his time prison, was released and made a valiant attempt to turn his life around but can't because no employer will hire him. If a criminal paid for the consequences of his actions he should be allowed to return to his normal life. And if he's not, he'll go back to the one thing he knows, crime, and wind up back in prison. He's not allowed to move on, this is wrong. Vick falls into this category. Inmates and criminals are humans too, I guess it should be no surprise to you that I stand vehemently against the death penalty.
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 10:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    Why? The one thing in life everyone needs to realize is that people do f**k up and make bad choices but they can learn from them. Ya know there are some guys out there, take a former gang member, who got nabbed and did his time prison, was released and made a valiant attempt to turn his life around but can't because no employer will hire him. If a criminal payed for the consequences of his actions he should be allowed to return to his normal life. And if he's not, he'll go back to the one thing he knows, crime, and wind up back in prison. He's not allowed to move on, this is wrong. Vick falls into this category. Inmates and criminals are humans too, I guess it should be no surprise to you that I stand vehemently against the death penalty.
    I agree with Alty's point that if he did return to his life of making millions of dollars (which he is) then he should at least have his wages garnished and donated to anti fighting organisations and have to do a service/volunteer work with an animal rights organisation.
    For the rest of his life.

I understand your point, I know people can turn their life around once they have realised their mistake but to me, this goes beyond that.
    I don't know if it is just because of my love of animals or I have a warped point of view but to me someone who can do that to a defenseless creature is not right in the head and no amount of jail time or "I'm sorry's" can fix that, they will always be a sick person.

I will use paedophiles as an example: yes they do their time in jail, get let out but would you want one babysitting your child? Would you want that person livng in your town? On your street?
    The way someone thinks can't be changed, I personally love chocolate, I can't just say to myself "I don't like it anymore" and it be true... same principle.

They may stop for a while but for some people the temptation is too great.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I will use paedophiles as an example: yes they do their time in jail, get let out but would you want one babysitting your child? Would you want that person livng in your town? On your street?
    The way someone thinks can't be changed, I personally love chocolate, I can't just say to myself "I don't like it anymore" and it be true.... same principle.
    No way, the only one babysitting my future children are girls who are honor roll students. You're right, prison won't rehabilitate anyone with a psychological disorder, it'll just make them less human. But, provided you were sane when you entered prison and were sane leaving prison, chances are you'd think twice before committing the same crime that landed you in the joint in the first place. And if that is the case, you should be allowed to live a normal life.

True, you can't control your thoughts but you can control your actions and that's really all that matters. Although you love chocolate, if you really wanted to stop eating it, you could very well do that and the easiest way is to avoid as much as you can (within reason).
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2009, 02:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by slapshot_oi View Post
    You forgot the rape stand.r.

Actually as offensive as the idea is to people, the "rape stand" is fairly standard practice for dog breeders.

Otherwise - carry on.

Just as a side note - how many people actually wrote letters to the various groups that were involved in Vick's sentencing? I was shocked that so few were received and yet so many had something to say.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 02:43 PM

I joined a "keep Michael Vick in Jail" campaign and signed a petition.

I didn't send a letter, didn't know who to send it to.
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 17, 2009, 02:59 PM

Judy brings forth a great point. I'm sure letters could be sent to NFL commission and also to the judges/probation officials that sentence and release these men. I don't believe in what he did and I believe that he was wrong and ignorant to take part in such behavior. However, I do believe that he was justly sentenced. I think that the amount of time he received was not only for the dog issue, but for his dishonesty in regards to his involvement, his drug use and dishonesty about that and just as an over all lesson... in you should know better and if you don't know better, maybe after you sit down for a minute and have nothing else to think about you will know better.
    I do think that for someone with such privilege that prison no matter the amount of time has changed him.<--it would have to. Was it for the better? Time will tell. I'm prayerful that he will learn and mature and make stronger choices in the future. I don't think that people will trust him and allow him to fully move on and I do think that is somewhat sad. I'm not saying I feel sorry for him, but we have to learn to let go. Never forget, forgive and move on.
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2009, 01:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Actually as offensive as the idea is to people, the "rape stand" is fairly standard practice for dog breeders.

Otherwise - carry on.

Just as a side note - how many people actually wrote letters to the various groups that were involved in Vick's sentencing? I was shocked that so few were received and yet so many had something to say.
    I didn't know about it until much later... it wasn't publicised here otherwise I would have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why Are Double Eagle Coins Called "Double Eagle"? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi! That is my question. Thanks!

Eagle Eye [ 3 Answers ]

I recently seen a movie "Eagle EYE", it appears to me that the plot was similar to another movie it which I can't recall the Title. An innocent male received a delivery of guns as a set-up and a series of events occurred as in Eagle Eye, such as receiving phone calls, computers, seeing his name on...

Vick Situation.what do we want as a people? [ 7 Answers ]

I'm sure everyone here has seen and heard about the Vick dogfighting scandal. I've heard from people on both sides and I am just lost. We as a people are on a constant search for justice but are at times too fast or too slow to act. With this Vick case everyone seems to automatically label Vick as...

Michael Vick - Though all pitt lovers would find this entertaining. [ 2 Answers ]

Michael Vick Dog Chew Toy | Mike Vick Chew Doll | Dog Toys LOL... It doesn't make things better, but Man is it funny... It is strong enough for a pit to chew on... :D Have a Happy day Dog lovers!

View more questions Search