Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sillyfool Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 06:22 AM
    Adjustable Post Feet
    I need to put in concrete bases under my porch posts so the posts are above ground. Is there an adjustable metal foot for this purpose? I don't want to replace the posts, just cut them off and anchor to the conrete bases.
    Thanks,
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 08:06 AM

Do youn already have cement footings poured for the posts? If yes then proper cutting is all that's needed. There should not be a need for adjustment if footers were done correctly

Aug 14, 2009, 09:14 AM
    No, the posts are currently in the ground. The neighborhood including my propery has termites, that's why I need to get the post above ground.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 11:29 AM

You will have difficulty digging afooting directly where the post currently sit. You could go off to the side and set up a single temporary support, remove/cut the post and then dig a footer to your frost line. This will only lessen your chance of termintes, they are quite mobile. You could also spray or bait for them.

Aug 14, 2009, 01:28 PM
    Yes, I understand all of that, my original question was, is there some type of adjustable metal anchor I can place on top of the new concrete footing (above ground level) to fasten the cut off post to?
    Thanks,
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 05:24 PM

Yes there are a number of metal brackets available for anchoring the base of a post. Look in the metal ties and brackets section (usually next to lumber) in Home Depot or Lowe's. These are not likely to be adjustable. You just have to cut the post to the correct length.
    However, if your current posts are in the ground they almost have to be made of pressure treated material. Termites will not attack treated material.

Best approach is probably to:

Temporarily support porch,
    Cut of post about 2 to 3' above ground,
    Pour concrete pads,
    Cut new section of post to fit between pad and upper section of post,
    Anchor to pad and using a lap joint bolt to upper post,
    Wrap post with a decorative piece of material covering joint.
    Attached Images

Aug 17, 2009, 07:35 AM
    Thank you, that sounds like a good way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square Feet Board Feet? [ 4 Answers ]

If I know how many square feet I have and I know the thickness of the material I have how I convert these values to square feet?

Adjustable and fixed mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

John buys a house for $150,000 and takes out a five year adjustable rate mortgage with a beginning rate of 6%. He makes annual payments rather than monthly payments. Interest rates go up by 1% for each of the five years of his loan (Year 1 is 6%, Year 2 is 7%, Year 3 is 8%, Year 4 is 9%, Year 5...

Fixed or adjustable? [ 5 Answers ]

Help.. I am confused about mortgages. I am refinancing my home.. I currently have a loan that could go negative amorization?. and I want to change that.. I have been told to go with a 30 year fixed because interest rates are at an all time low... but my mortgage brokers says that it smarter to go...

Adjustable light [ 6 Answers ]

I want to make the brightness adjustable on a Milwaukee 28volt worklight that uses li-ion batteries. Any ideas for this odd ball voltage? Thanks:o

View more questions Search