Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huttong Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Spalling cracks in leveling cement.
    My question is it okay or normal after using semi- self leveling cement (ARDEX K-15) to level floors from feather edge to .75”, I notice spalling hairline cracks throughout the installation and I would like to know if this is going to ruin my efforts to level the floor before gluing down engineered wood flooring or will the glue negate the problem? The Ardex still seems to be adheared to the concrete floor underneath strongly but has spalling. The history on this project is a 1947 single story rambler slab on grade needed the old Bruce #8 Parquet Floor replaced so I took up the floor found that the mastic was probably hot applied tar very hard to remove so I used Soy bean based solvent and degreaser and a lot of scraping and absorbent material and MESS everywhere on everything and then rented a scarifier and grinder to get the floor totally prepared for leveling with Ardex. Whew!
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Oct 27, 2006, 08:19 PM
    Usually cracking occurs from rapid drying. Of Also too much water to the surface can cause cracking while curing..
    If its hair line cracks, I wouldn't worry about it. Just as long as all areas of the floor is adheared to the underlying concrete.
    huttong Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
    Your answer sounds logical I tried to follow the mixing directions but this is an extreamly quick drying product. I used the primer primer letting it dry for three hours before applying the concrete. Anyway the concrete seems solidly adhered I am getting some Engineered wood flooring in a few weeks. Thanks for the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create dam for Self Leveling Concrete [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I'm working on retiling my bathroom, and I need to pour self leveling concrete to level the floor. I realize that the floor only needs to be flat, but I also would like it to be level. I have expansion foam to go around the perimeter of the room, but there are some areas that I need to dam,...

How much floor leveling compound can I use? [ 6 Answers ]

My brother and I plan on putting down some laminate flooring but the existing sub floor very uneven. We are hoping to get out of replacing as much as we can and use some of that leveling material. So my question is how much is the max suggested? Is it 1/4" or ? Thanks for the help.

Cracks in brick [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new homeowner and have a concern about some cracks I have seen in our bricks. We have a split foyer home so the top half of the house is siding and the bottom half is brick. I have noticed that several bricks have a small hairline crack down the middle. The crack is only in an individual...

Cracks In Walls [ 5 Answers ]

I been noticing in my drywall long cracks can someone tell me what can that be.

Leveling 1991 Honda Civic DX [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 1991 Honda Civic DX and the drivers side front is 1 1/2 inches than the other side. How can you level the car? I placed in on a level surface, filled the gas tank, bounced each cornor of the car. When I settles, the dirver side front is lower. I have read in some service references you...

View more questions Search