Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ben67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 02:15 PM
    Difficulty pumping up tyres on 16 inch wheel bike
    I have purchased a second hand folding bicycle with small 16 inch wheels. It is supposed to be suitable for an adult. I pump the tyres up with my old bicycle pump until I can get no more air into the tyres. Although the tyres then seem hard to press they compress so much when I get onto the bike that the tyres seem almost flat.

On the tyre wall it says max pressure 36 psi. I do not know whether I have reached this psi because as soon as I connect the pressure gauge the air escapes.

The questions I need to ask are –

Should you be able to get to 36 psi with a simple old fashioned hand pump or do you need a more powerful one.

Is 36 psi on 16 inch tyres / wheels suitable for an adult. I see from other comments that around 50 psi is recommended for normal cycling
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 02:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ben67 View Post
    should you be able to get to 36 psi with a simple old fashioned hand pump
    Yes, easily with a quality pump. My Zefal mini-pump I keep on the bike will do 100+ psi (takes a lot of pumping though).

Quote Originally Posted by ben67 View Post
    is 36 psi on 16 inch tyres / wheels suitable for an adult.
    I don't know, but go by what the tire/tube says. If your hand pump isn't performing, take the bike to a gas station and use their compressed air along with a good gauge and inflate the tires to the proper amount. If once at the proper inflation, the tires are inadequate, shop for tires. If you plan to cycle a lot, a small high quality air compressor (examples: Thomas Compressors, Dewalt Compressors) is convenient, although the less expensive ones tend to be very loud.
    ben67 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2009, 07:32 AM
    Hi Scleros

Thanks for your input.

I have been to the gas station and have managed to get 36 psi into the tyres, which seems adequate for riding the bike.

It seems that my old pump can't get the right pressue into the tyres.

I will buy a better pump
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 03:07 PM
    Happy trails...
    jameskevin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2011, 09:37 AM
    Four items are essential: 1) a good lightweight air pump, 2) a set of tire levers, also sometimes called tire "irons" (usually made of plastic), 3) a patch kit, most preferably one designed for bicycle tires, and 4) a spare tube.

---------
    JAMES

<a href=“http://continentaltyres.org.uk” rel=“dofollow”>Continental Tyres</a>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Showere drain - can I reduce from 2 inch to 1 1/2 inch [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a few questions about replacing an existing bathtub with a shower as we remodel our bathroom, The existing tub on our upper floor was plumbed with a 1.5 inch p-trap and then a horizontal run of about 9 feet before it heads vertically downwards towards the basement between all the...

How to install 72 inch long by 4 inch tall Marble Vanity Backsplash [ 2 Answers ]

I just installed a new 72 inch long Marble vanity in my bathroom. It came with a 72 inch long by 4 inch tall Marble Backsplash. How do I install this backsplash? Do I just put an adhesive behind it? What about the gaps? How do I fill the gap of the top of the backsplash where it hits the...

Replacing 17 inch monitor with 19 inch [ 3 Answers ]

I wish to replace my 17 inch NEC LCD monitor with a Staples 19 inch LCD monitor My computer is a Gateway Do I need to change any settings as the monitor keeps switching off

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

Tyres [ 1 Answers ]

I have two sets of tyres for my 4x4 Hilux 205R16 & 31x10.5R15 what do these figures mean? How do you work out the dimensions of your tyre from these? also I'm fairly sure these are 15inch tyres, I want to get bigger tyres, 16's, will the vehicle be able to handle bigger tyres without any...

View more questions Search