Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Eeeeeewwww. Do you know where dinosaurs come from?

excon
    Sure, from Hollywood, silly!
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again:

Eeeeeewwww. Do you know where dinosaurs come from?

excon
    Yea, from eggs.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 01:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Yes, i know, twink, I just threw that in for good measure. As for your pickled eggs with beets mmm, I make pickled eggs, just love them, but only have added the beet juice. So you actually put the beets to pickle in with the eggs, right ?

tick
    My old Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs recipe. I don't bother measuring out the ingredients as I've made these for so many years I just go by the way it tastes method(?)

One dozen hard boiled eggs freshly peeled

In a large pot with lid add the following

Canned red beets with juice. This can be either whole beets, sliced beets or Julienne sliced beets. Tried them all and I like them all so whatever you want to add is fine with me. The Julienne makes the dish more attractive and fancy.

Add at least one can of canned beets with juice. I usually use 2 cans of beets as I like beets.
    Dark brown sugar. Add about 1/2 cup.
    1 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar.
    White sugar. About 1/2 cup.
    Ground Cinnamon - 1 tablespoon.
    Ground Cloves - 1 teaspoon.
    Ground Nutmeg - 1/2 teaspoon.
    1/2 cup water.
    Salt and pepper to taste.

Add all ingredients in pot. Let pot come to boil. Put lid on and reduce heat to low. Let cook for at least 1 hour so beets are tender.

When beets are tender add the previously cooked hard boiled eggs to pot. Turn up the heat and let everything come to a boil again. Eggs will start to turn red at this point on one side. Turn eggs with a wooden spoon to other side so that side gets red also.

Turn heat off and let cool on the stove in the pot.

When cooled down take and put beets and eggs with the red juice in a large enough Rubbermaid or Tupperware bowl that has a cover on it and place in the refrigerator. Be sure that the juice covers all the eggs as much as possible.

Refrigerate for at least 2 days prior to eating any eggs and beets with the lid on. This is the key. Don't cheat(?) or they won't taste as good.

The eggs will soak up the red beet juice and most if not all of the egg white will turn red in the 2 day period. When you serve the eggs and beets be sure to drain off any juice.

I eat the eggs sliced and beets for breakfast with just salt and pepper.
    I eat the eggs sliced and beets for lunch with just salt and pepper.
    I eat the eggs sliced and beets for dinner with just salt and pepper.
    I eat the eggs sliced and beets for a snack with just salt and pepper.

You can slice the eggs in half and make deviled eggs with the yolks.

They are good to take on picnics as well once you drain the juice off.

You can throw out the juice when all the eggs and beets are consumed.
    The eggs and beets will last at least two weeks in your refrigerator until all are consumed.

Ok, now once you eat my Pennsylvania Dutch Pickled Eggs you will unofficially become a Pennsylvania Dutch person.

Once you get past the fact you are eating dark red colored eggs you'll be fine.

The vinegar in the juice acts as a preservative. I've seen these eggs on the counter at bars in Pennsylvania many a time when I was a kid or at delis.

Now, since I've given you my recipe for my coveted pickled eggs I'll have to come and sample yours or else I'll send the pickled egg police over to your house to find out why.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 14, 2009, 03:37 PM

Thank thank you thank you, twink, I am forever indebted to you for that lovely recipe !

Funny story though about beets, which we all love as an accompaniment for a main meal. My then husband ate too many and the next morning was alarmed when his urine was pink ! I thought he was going to have a fit, yelling from the outhouse (we were at a cottage with no casual eminities).

Tick
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2009, 05:41 PM

Tickle - you can use either the dark brown sugar or just the brown sugar for this recipe. The eggs do come out darker and tastier if you use the dark brown sugar though. I only use the brown sugar if I don't have any dark brown in a pinch.

The beets come out heavenly. Your husband will like them a lot as they are much tastier made this way. I love mine cold. Yum. Have to make another batch soon.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 16, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Tickle - you can use either the dark brown sugar or just the brown sugar for this recipe. The eggs do come out darker and tastier if you use the dark brown sugar though. I only use the brown sugar if I don't have any dark brown in a pinch.

The beets come out heavenly. Your husband will like them a lot as they are much tastier made this way. I love mine cold. Yum. Have to make another batch soon.
    Absolutely will do this recipe this week, as I am on a weeks vacation and will let you know, but if you recommend them, I am sure there are excellent.

Tick
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Sep 2, 2009, 12:32 PM
    I love hard boiled eggs too and have had trouble peeling them. I put a little salt in the boiling water and boil them for 10 minutes, then crack the egg at both ends and give it a squeeze, this should get the shell loose and easy to peel. I like my eggs with some dijon mustard and a little paprika and hot sauce.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Sep 13, 2009, 11:11 AM

The best way to remove shells from hard boiled eggs is by placing the cooked eggs immediately into an ice bath. The egg will shrink away from the shell and will be easy to remove.
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
    My aunt taught me to put red vinegar in the water to make peeling easier.
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2009, 11:42 AM

Put some salt in the water,works like a charm.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard boiled eggs [ 2 Answers ]

Can you freeze hard boiled eggs

How long are hard boiled eggs safe for consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How long are refrigerated hard boiled eggs still in the shell good? How long before they are no longer safe or good to eat?

Boiled meat [ 1 Answers ]

If I eat the meat that all fat was taken out of it by making soup, would it help me lose weight or not make me gain weight? 2 eggs a day cause weight gain?

Boiled eggs [ 6 Answers ]

How do you boil eggs? How long,etc?

View more questions Search