Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lvnthedrem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 11:43 AM
    Ammonia smell in toilet bowl
    We have been living in our house for 7 years. Just recently, the toilet in our main bathroom smells just like perm solution for your hair. It is coming from the toilet bowl and gets the strongest when you use the toilet and flush. It will smell for 5 minutes after you flush it. We have a separate shower/bath combo and the tub never gets used. I read somewhere that can be a problem for the drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2009, 11:59 AM
    Open the tank lid and give it a sniff. Any smell in the tank? I assume you brush the toilet down under the rim and all over. The reason I mention this is because urine has a strong ammonia odor.
    OK! So you keep a clean bowl.
    Try this. Shut the water off under the tank and pour a half gallon of bleach in the tank. Flush and let set overnight. Next morning brush the bowl thoroughly, turn the water back on and flush everything away. Smell better now? And rum water in the unused tub to keep a seal in the trap or you'll get sewer gas and odor. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smell from toilet what has to do with ammonia? [ 1 Answers ]

Please answer me soon. I had to leave soon

Ammonia smell in front room usually after rains [ 0 Answers ]

The front room, specifically towards the one side of the room, smells fishy usually after every time it rains. The smell is getting stronger now, so strong that it wafts down the hallway and it's taking much more of an ammonia smell now that it's stronger. It only lasts for <1 day and very rarely...

Cutting Ammonia smell [ 2 Answers ]

I have pet rabbits in my house and I try to be as green as possible. But I heard that putting vailla extact in their water will do the trick. Do you know the ratio? And will it truly work? Thanks!

Toilets smell of ammonia when we haven't used bleach - what is it ? [ 3 Answers ]

WE bought a house that needed loads of work. The upstairs toilet had a bad bleach smell that would not go away and we could not pinpoint where the smell came from. We had 3x plumbers round, none of them new what it was. We have had every pipe , toilet, sink + tile replaced in the upstairs toilet +...

Increased ammonia smell in urine [ 6 Answers ]

I have 3 cats. All nuetered. One of them has urine that has the most potent ammonia smell I've ever been exposed to. I know he's not missing the box. The smell is the worst if one of his clumps break apart during scooping so I know it's not because of the box or the litter. He's perfectly healthy,...

View more questions Search