Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maksadik Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
    Connecting two networks at a far distance
    Hi guys,

Well I don't understand much in networking, so if you can please help!

We have two networks, with a main office network and a branch office network. We use an accounting program in both offices. Is it possible that I can manage/browse the accounting program in branch office from main office?

Both offices has a aDSL internet line but its not with high-speed. (poor internet connections in our country :( )

To tell the truth, I don't understand the meanings of VPN, Router etc. Just what I know is that hub,switch etc.

If you can please help with simple ways.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 09:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maksadik View Post
    Is it possible that I can manage/browse the accounting program in branch office from main office?...Both offices has a aDSL internet line but its not with high-speed.
    Yes, but the experience over slow lines is likely to not be practical. The bandwidth requirements of the accounting application itself will determine what options are feasible.

One option for connecting the two networks is a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A traditional VPN can be expensive and complex to setup and requires a router which supports VPN or a dedicated VPN appliance device (example: Sonicwall SSL VPN Secure Remote Access) at each location. The gist of the VPN is that each VPN device selects packets originating on the local network that are destined for the other branch, creates a secure "tunnel" over the public Internet which encrypts the packets and transmits them over the Internet to the other branch. The receiving branch verifies the source of the packets, decrypts them and places them on the local network segment for delivery to the destination computer. From the perspective of the two branch networks, it is as if the two networks were directly connected.

A better option for low bandwidth scenarios is remote access. An example of this would be having a second computer in the main office running the accounting application. If numerous people need access to the accounting application, it could also be placed on an application server. Any branch offices could then use a remote access solution to access this second computer/application server and the accounting application.

There are a variety of remote access solutions. Recent versions of Windows include a remote desktop client which allows connection from a local machine to another remote machine. The remote machine can then be controlled locally as if you were sitting at it (there are a few limitations). However, remote desktop alone isn't secure over the Internet but it can be coupled with a Secure Shell (SSH) implementation such as copSSH server and PuTTY client to tunnel remote desktop connections over the Internet. While inexpensive (free), this implementation is fairly technical. Similar nontechnical solutions include remote access as a service using a web browser or proprietary client such as GotoMyPC or LogMeIn as well as others.

For this application security is paramount, hopefully, so I strongly suggest hiring a competent local person or contractor to implement this for you as doing it well isn't simple. Implemented poorly or naively, bad things can happen.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 18, 2009, 02:04 PM

Depending on how many users need to operate the application, you may need to go to something like a Terminal Server. It can host a lot of users at one time and will run the application individually for each of your users.

You can use a terminal like the Wyse S10 or S90 which is a less expensive solution than a PC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting two networks in one [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, How to connect two different networks in one with routing in window server 2003? Yours faithfully Vivek NIIT

Connecting networks [ 1 Answers ]

I have a radio link connecting to a network with a dlink router, I want to be able to Pcanywhere in via the radio and talk to computers on a second network, the first network Is internet connection the second is work computer network, no internet. I would like to Do this with dlink routers is...

Connecting two networks [ 6 Answers ]

Hi every body Actually I am working with computer networks... Now I want to know the connecting two networks... Firstly I want to know what are the devices and media (such as internet connection or isdn, or broadband) to connect both networks. Actually I am working with redhat linux 4, ...

Connecting two networks [ 3 Answers ]

I need to connect two existing networks together. Currently there is a main network that has 15 computers and 2 servers with a high speed internet connection and static IPs. Second network has 6 computers and 1 server also with high speed internet and static IP. Currently second network connects...

Connecting to 2 networks at once [ 9 Answers ]

My home network has the following hardware: * IBM T42P ThinkPad laptop running XP Pro * Desktop Pentium 4 PC (clone) running XP Pro * HP Media Center PC * HP LaserJet 3030 printer/copier/fax/scanner connected to the desktop PC through the parallel port with printer sharing enabled * RCA...

View more questions Search