Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Picture on ceramic
    Hi all

Is there a procedure to attach a picture on ceramic and make it water proof?

Would be using it on vase or plaque. Nothing to drink from.

A fired on decal would not be possible. Would have to be custom made and need minimum order of at least 50.

Thanks

Chuck
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2009, 03:00 AM
    Hi, creahands!

I'm sorry that no one has yet come along to address your question!

What would the picture be made of and how big would it be, please? Also, would it need to be affixed to a flat surface or something that's curved?

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 06:21 AM

Hi Clough

Thanks for moving me back up.

The picture would be a photo.

Would be on a flat placque or box top.

Most would be used as coasters.

I know there is a clear liquid plastic but don't know name or where to get. Also not sure the liguid plastic will work.

Thanks again

Chuck
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 06:46 PM
    Well, until you mentioned coasters I was going to suggest 'Mod Podge' I use that for frames and all sorts of stuff, but glasses sweat, so I don't think that would work.

Have you thought about a spray polyurethane (of course water proof)?
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 26, 2009, 07:14 PM

What about using a waterproof vanish. Any varnish suggested for use outdoors, like a deck sealer, will work. The main issue, I think, would be making sure it doesn't discolor the images.

You could also use a coat of resin, which will give it an almost domed look and make it feel kind of like a hard rubber on the top. It also has the bonus of being absolutely waterproof, not damaging the images, and providing a non-skid surface. I actually found a site that gives detailed instruction on how to make the type of coasters you want using resin.

Diary of a Crafty Chica: Resin Coasters
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 08:35 PM

Thanks JD and hhealth

Will give both a try and let u know what happens.

Chuck
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2009, 09:01 PM

You can go to Zazzle.com and have anything put on any thing you want.
    They owe me money for artwork but they do deliver to people.I have heard from people who have received my posters.

I would look them up via Google and see how good they are about their mug work.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2009, 07:17 AM

Check out the Versalaser printer. It maynot be exactly what you want, but it was available at a local Ritz Camera in their self-service area.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Oct 23, 2009, 06:21 PM

Hi, check out Mod Podge. I provided a link for you to see what it is. They have one that they claim is water proof. I have not used that particular one so I cannot give you an opinion. I have used the other ones and love them! It brushes on milky and dries clear.

You can get it at any craft store.

Click Here: Mod Podge, Glue & Decoupage Products from Plaid Enterprises

Now go have some fun!:D:rolleyes::p!!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Television featuring Picture in Picture [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys, Is there anybody here know about the Television w/ Picture in picture function? If there somebody, may I asked if I can watch two channel at the same time on the Television? Thanks..

Connecting RCA Tv picture in picture with components [ 1 Answers ]

How do you hook up a RCA TV (with picture in a picture feature active) Direct Tv satelitte receiver, vcr, colby dvd player? We have had the RCA Tv for some time but never used the picture in a picture feature cause we did not know how to do this. I know you have to have a vcr in order to do it....

Attaching ceramic corner shelf to ceramic tiles [ 3 Answers ]

I want to add a couple of ceramic shelves to my bathroom ceramic tub surround. What can you use to attach ceramic shelves to ceramic tiles? I tried the same glue used to put tiles on the drywall but they just slide. Thanks in advance!

View more questions Search