Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ah_knee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 08:39 AM
    Can Dentist Refuse Service?
    My boyfriend had a dentist appointment [completely paid for by his employer by the way]. He answered the questionnaire honestly including the fact that he is on Methadone for past drug use. The dentist said he couldn't give my boyfriend anything for the pain because he's a drug addict [in those words], and my boyfriend explained that Methadone doesn't do anything for the pain and that he's been taking ibuprofen and that's not working. The dentist got upset and said "I'm not doing this" and walked out. The assistant came in and told my boyfriend "get up you need to leave". My boyfriend wasn't being irate, and he was being calm. It just seems like... I don't know the dentist did something wrong.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 08:43 AM

I see no problem - all Physicians (unless they are Government subsidized) have the ability to pick their patients.

I see nothing legally incorrect about what happened here. It may be upsetting, particularly if your boyfriend is attempting to straighten out his life, but I don't see any legal action stemming from this.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 12, 2009, 11:03 AM

If this is your boyfriend's first time for seeing this dentist then yes, I believe he can refuse to see him.

If the dentist has been providing care to your boyfriend and refuses to see him, I think he has to give your boyfriend a letter stating that he is being dismissed from the practice.

I've never worked anywhere where a new client has been refused care. I think the dentist should have contacted your bf's primary health care giver and/or rehab provider to find out what pain killer is permissible to prescribe for a recovering addict.

I know we are not allowed to prescribe any mouthrinses (ie Listerine) to known alcoholics or recovering alcoholics. I'm guessing the same goes for drug abusers.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by flossie View Post
    If this is your boyfriend's first time for seeing this dentist then yes, I believe he can refuse to see him.

If the dentist has been providing care to your boyfriend and refuses to see him, I think he has to give your bf a letter stating that he is being dismissed from the practice.

I've never worked anywhere where a new client has been refused care. I think the dentist should have contacted your bf's primary health care giver and/or rehab provider to find out what pain killer is permissible to prescribe for a recovering addict.

I know we are not allowed to prescribe any mouthrinses (ie Listerine) to known alcoholics or recovering alcoholics. I'm guessing the same goes for drug abusers.

Same in US - can refuse to treat initially; if resigns from "case" has to send notification and "attempt" to provide another Physician/Dentist.

(Always good to see an expert come around and give us the scoop.)
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Aug 13, 2009, 06:32 PM

Why did your boyfriend ask for pain killers? Ibuprofen is good for most mild things... if it wasn't after a surgery, infection, or tough root canal there is no need for anything stronger than that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I refuse dna testings [ 4 Answers ]

I am engaged to a man and we are getting married in aug. we had a baby together in April he's on and everything. And all of a sudden my ex boyfriend writes his mom to tell me he wants a dna test on my daughter when he gets out of prison do I have any rights to refuse it when he decides to try to...

Why does She refuse Sex ? [ 19 Answers ]

I am a much older man, than the girl who came to stay with me in a shared accommodation. She was open to discussing many things, including sexual relationships in the past. On my advice she also shaved her pubic hair, and wore some dresses of my choice. She also allowed me to feel up her skirt, and...

How many here will refuse to come? [ 28 Answers ]

Sunday's Gospel Lesson. Matthew 22.Parable of the wedding feast 1. Jesus began to speak to them in parables once again, 2. `The kingdom of Heaven may be compared to a king who gave a feast for his son's wedding. 3. He sent his servants to call those who had been invited, but they would not...

Refuse payment [ 4 Answers ]

Can Aarons sales and lease refuse a payment on an nsf check then take me to court for nonpayment?

Can I refuse rent? (AR) [ 7 Answers ]

Rented to a young man back in Nov '05 and his dad co-signed. Every month it was a problem collecting rent. We had to make several phone calls to both him and his dad and then rent would be paid sometime between the 3rd and the 5th. We were getting really tired of this, but he said in May '06 he was...

View more questions Search