Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rezactg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 05:42 AM
    Remote LINUX Server Access using Dial Up Connection
    Hi, Dear.
    My head office is Located 15km far away from sub Office. I want to connect to the
    Head office Linux server and Windows PC/terminal with Dial up connection or any easy method which will good speed and reliable to work on head office server's work from Local office. Please Let me know the easy steps to perform this.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 18, 2009, 02:45 PM

There are no EASY steps to perform this and dial up will not provide good speed.

Not sure about your Linux box. To connect to a PC remotely, it will need a modem connection to an analog phone line. You will have to enable Routing and Remote Access services on the Windows machine. You will then need to setup the users and security for remote access.

Then use the same services as the RAS client on the other end and dial into the RAS server.
    rezactg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole View Post
    There are no EASY steps to perform this and dial up will not provide good speed.

Not sure about your Linux box. To connect to a PC remotely, it will need a modem connection to an analog phone line. You will have to enable Routing and Remote Access services on the Windows machine. You will then need to setup the users and security for remote access.

Then use the same services as the RAS client on the other end and dial into the RAS server.
    Dear chuckhole , where I will found Routing and Remote Access services on the Windows machine? Please reply.
    Thanks.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Aug 20, 2009, 12:25 PM

Sorry for the confusion. It has been a very long time since I used RRAS. It is available only on the server operating systems and not on the clients. RRAS is intended to be a server based service and not a client based service.

You need a standalone product. We used to use ProComm Plus. It has not been updated since the days of NT 4.0 but there are some products still out there for use. You may be able to find a open source or freeware program that can also be used for your Linux box. Check the Sourceforge web site for something like this.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2009, 01:11 PM

If both offices currently have internet from DSL or another service, why not use VPN?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To know how to connect two computers through one dial up connection [ 1 Answers ]

Sir/madam, I don't know how to connect two computers through one dial up connection.it would be helpful to me if any one tell me how to connect two systems through one dial up internet connect and I also want to know how I can access internet form both the system simultaniouly and also I want...

Skype for dial up connection [ 3 Answers ]

I have a dial up internet connection and I am planning to use Skype "Linksys WIP320 Wireless-G IP Phone for Skype" or " Linksys CIT400 Skype Dual-Mode WiFi IP Phone". Which is better for me ?How's the connection like? I've no Idea help... Bundle of Thanks

Which linux is newest for server use? [ 1 Answers ]

Which version of linux is the newest and is usually used for a server? Which version is best used as xp and vistas equal? Is there a website that I can still go to to downoad these free? What book would be the best for learning these operating systems(linux)? Thank you!

Linux. 2003 Server & XP [ 2 Answers ]

Hey guys/gals. I have a question the issue I'm having is this. I want to have 3 OS's on 2 hard drives I currently have: XP Pro on my 80Gig - Master 2K3 Server & Linux on my 40Gig - Slave I want to know how I can setup a boot system that will let me chose which OS I desire, I have tried to...

Dial up connection [ 2 Answers ]

Aoa, I have dial up connection to internet.I can not listen phone calls during internet usage. I want to know that am I called by phone during my web browsing? Is there any program available to know about which Tel Phone calls are coming my during web browsing? Thank you

View more questions Search