Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pixelmation Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Help with non-spinning Kenmore washer
    My washer is only 5-6 years old but just today it stoppedspinning on any cycle. It does everything else, including aggitate during rinse but once rinsing/aggitating is done it just stops. I tried using spin on each other cycle in hopes that would help, but it didn't work. It doesn't smell either... the only thing done recently is my husband unplugged the washer from the outlet to plug in something else to charge up over night. I used that same outlet before for a shorter time. Please help :)
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 23, 2006, 02:22 PM
    I have neglected this question becuae I have an idea, but Im not sure, perhaps one of the more seasoned washing machine experts here can back this up, or dismiss it.

Some washing machines have dual speed motors. Perhaps two sets of windings?

I have a theory that in your case, perhaps the windings for the "spin" speed of the motor have failed. But before you replace a motor Id wait and see if we can get a second opinion. Im really just taking a stab here.

Oct 23, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Yea!! It's just the switch for some reason the lid won't hold it down anymore... I was playing around the area where the lid thing goes into and I noticed it was lose, so I played with it until the water started to drain and the machine spun :)

Thanks!

Oct 23, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelmation
    Yea!!! It's just the switch for some reason the lid won't hold it down anymore...I was playin around the area where the lid thing goes into and I noticed it was lose, so I played with it untill the water started to drain and the machine spun :)

Thanks!!
    Ah yes of course.

Alas, I forgot this KISS method. (keep it simple stupid) (haha)

I forgot it will run in spin mode only with the lid down. Ya got me. :)

Anyway, glad you got it fixed.

Oct 23, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Ok, so I did figure it out with your help here online... now the thingy that is pushed down to make it spin broke... is it easy to repair and if so what is the part called? LOL!

Oct 23, 2006, 08:38 PM
    If your washer is like this one (see attached picture)

You will notice a small plastic arm in the lid. If this is broke, you have one of two options, you can go replace it with an OEM part from the manufacturer, this may cost a few dollars, and some time. Or, if you just want to get it done, you could do like I would do and just remove the old broken piece, drill a small hole in the lid above it, run a small bolt long enough to actuate the switch through the hole, but a nut on the other side to hold it in place, and badda-bing. Done deal. If your actuater is tackwelded or something, this might be the only option, unless you want to replace the whole lid, or know someone who can attach it.

If the lower part of the switch (the one in the yellow circle) is bad, then you will have to replace it with a factory part. Replacement should be easy and you should only have to raise the washer top (not the lid) from there the bolts should be easily accessible for removal.
    Attached Images

Oct 24, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Thanks so much, it is the ladder part... I will get er done today!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Elite washer not spinning/agitating [ 11 Answers ]

I have the same washer as SerTam (dated 4/2/06). Model #110.20052 992 The washer filled and the light said it was washing but it was just making a horrible buzzing sound. It was not agitating. I was able to get it to drain though. It also would stop draining if I raised the lid so I don't think...

Kenmore elite catalyst washer not spinning [ 1 Answers ]

Model number 11020072991 Ok, here's where I'm at. I believe it's the drive coupler? I've disconnected the control panel and fliped it back. I remove the brass colored springs holding on the cover and removed the cover after disconnecting the clamps and hoses needed. Now, I'm stuck and don't...

Kenmore washer stopped spinning [ 11 Answers ]

My Kenmore washer, model# 417.99686210, has stopped spinning. It runs through the rest of the cycle, OK. It still agitates, indicating the motor is OK, but when it comes to the spin cycle, nothing. It fills with water and drains. If anyone can help, that would be most appreciated. Thank you.

GE washer not spinning [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer that will not engage and spin through it's normal cycle. It completes the cycle, the pump drains all the water but it will not spin. All other parts of the cycle seem OK. L not start again. I would like to look inside but am unsure how to make my way in to this machine. Does the...

View more questions Search