Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inaz4sun Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Wet socket and one other not functioning
    About 6 months ago my patio wet socket and another normal 110 socket in my garage stopped functioning. I checked all my breakers and none were tripped. Nothing else in the house is not working, just those two sockets. Any thoughts on what it might be? I replaced one with a new socket, but there is no current in the wires running to the box. Anything else to do to trouble shoot it? What might be a solution?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 01:42 PM
    This power failure may be caused by the outlets being wired by "Wiz-Wire,Quik-Wire, or Stab in the Back" method, the wires at the outlet are stripped and pushed into holes on the back of the outlet.

These are popular as a labor saving method, and are prone to loosening. Open the last outlet on the circuit that is working, and you may find the feed wires tight, and the wires leaving to the next outlet that is dead, loose.

If the outlet is not damaged by heat, convert the connections to the screw terminals, otherwise you may need to replace that outlet, and again, use the screw terminals.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Hopefully you get back with what you find the problem is caused by, to help me with advice, and others who may have the same problem.

The problem can also be caused by a bad splice, somewhere in a nearby outlet or junction box.
    inaz4sun Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 02:51 PM
    Yeah we'll see. I think the next thing I'll do is replace the wet socket. It's likely that is where it started. Showed up after I cut through a hedge trimmer cord.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wall socket plug in chargers [ 3 Answers ]

I just heard on the T. V. that I am "waisting " (using) energy if I don't unplug my plug-in charger for, e.g. cell phone, rechargeable flashlight, etc. How can that be if I don't have any of these appliances plugged into the charger, drawing current to the appliance?

Av not functioning [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I just tuned in my television it is a bush ak20 with a scart socket, using a universal remote. It changes the channels and volume but it won't change to av channel with the button that's on the remote and I can't play my playstation 2 with no av I'm going mad here people help!!

Socket 939 motherboards [ 1 Answers ]

I've read that many boards that have a 939 socket for AMD 64 bit processors can also support their new dual core X2 but what I wanted to know is how do I tell if a motherboard can support dual core or not? I thought maybe there is a list of chipsets that can support it but I don't know where to...

Inducer motor not functioning consistently [ 1 Answers ]

We have a Carrier 58 RAV downflow furnace. When the thermostat calls for heat the inducer functions inconsistently. Sometimes (though rarely) it functions completely normally, and the ignition sequence occurs properly. But most of the time it either cuts off in the middle of the purge period, or...

View more questions Search