Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    100yrmoneypit Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
    Cut old evaporator off cast iron stack pipe.
    Hi,
    I need to cut an old evaporator that branches off my cast iron stack pipe in the basement of 100+ year old house. It seems like a great place to add a clean out access. Can I just use a sawzall and but a screw off cap.
    Thanks
    Gerry
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 06:15 PM
    Hi Gerry:

If I understand you right then you can cut the pipe using a sawzall with bimetal blades and install a PVC end clean out with plug into a Cast iron x PVC mission clamp... see images. Then install the other side of the clamp to the cut pipe. Order in size needed, of course.

Be sure to support the cast iron piping BEFORE you make the cuts... OK?

MARK
    Attached Images

100yrmoneypit Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 06:49 PM
    Thanks Mark that seems like something I can do.

Are these parts I can find at the home depot? Or do I need a plumbing supply shop?

One other question. I want use pex tubing to work around a difficult area in my bathroom tub. My plan was to cut the copper pipe add shut off valves and the pex tubing using compression fittings. Is this okay. I'm not much for sweating pipes in a small access space.

Thanks again
    -Gerry
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 03:34 AM
    Hey Gerry...

Yup! Parts are available at home depot.

In terms of the PEX tubing/piping I don't know of any PEX that uses compression fittings.. Pex usually uses crimp rings, crimp sleeves, or expanding/contracting sleeves which all require the purchase of special tool(s).

Check the PEX type you intend to install and just make sure that the fittings you use are clear about using them with that PEX type.

Otherwise, you can use sharkbite or gatorbite push-type fittings (sharkbite is at home depot) with copper tubing as these do NOT require soldering... see image.

MARK
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Cutting through cast iron How is it possible to cut through a cast iron soil pipe

Tap into Cast Iron Vertical Stack [ 11 Answers ]

I am considering taping into one of my cast iron stacks to add a drain. The cast iron is in very nice condition and has no problem. It runs into concrete on the bottom, the other side of the pipe has extensive plumbing connections attached to it, then it vents. Would the best thing to do be to...

Cast Iron Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have just purchased a 1950's rental property with a cast iron vent stack. The insurance co. wants me to replace it as they are prone to leaking in older homes. The job seems fairly straight forward, but do you have to replace the elbow/cleanout at the bottom that is cemented into the basement...

Cast iron soil stack to pvc [ 15 Answers ]

the plumbing in our house is from 1936. We noticed a large stain in the ceiling, tore it out to reveal the cast iron soil stack (runs from the upstairs bathroom turns a corner then runs straight to the basement) and found the leak was around (very bad leak) the lead joint. My husband finally got...

Cast iron vent stack [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.

View more questions Search