Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creative555 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Dart Board Probability With Numbers 9 and 4
    A dart board contains a region worth 9 points and a region worth 4 points as shown in the
    Accompanying figure. If you are allowed to throw as many darts as you wish, then what is the largest possible total score that you cannot get?
    The dart board figure has two circles. The larger circle has the number 9 and the smaller circle is inside the circle with the number nine and it carries the #4 in it.
    I tried using all the common factors for numbers 4, 9, and 13 but I cannot come up with a formula which does not include any of them combined.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 12:50 PM

(this is not a correct answer I don't think)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 10:14 AM

The problem is.. I can't see any picture here... Have you attached your picture well?

Click on "Go advanced" under the post box, and there, click on manage attachments. Browse your computer for the picture and click on upload. Then, post the picture.

The description you gave is quite confusing, especially that part:

The larger circle has the number 9 and the smaller circle is inside the circle with the number nine and it carries the #4 in it.
    If it were a real dart board, the smaller circle would be the most scoring... :confused:
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2009, 05:39 PM

I'm not sure of the formula. But, here goes.

You already know you can't get 1-3, and 5-7.
    You get the smallest number you have available, 4, and start multipling it by an increasing interger.
    When you get to the first value where that will equal more than the greater number, you place the greater number there in the sequence, one at a time.
    You proceed until the numbers you get are sequential, enough to equal the value of the smaller number.

Sorry if that doesn't make sense...

I'll show you an example, using 3 and 8:
    1x3 = 3
    2x3 = 6
    1x8 = 8
    3x3 = 9
    8+(1x3) = 11
    4x3 = 12
    8+(2x3) = 14
    5x3 = 15
    2x8 = 16
    8+(3x3) = 17
    Because, starting at 14, all the numbers became sequential, and for the amount of the lowest number, 3 (14, 15, 16), then you can conclude that by combining different ammounts of eight and three, you can get every number from 14 and above. Thus, the highest number you can't get is 13.

Equation: X[lower interger]+Y[higher interger]=Z
    You then find the highest total Z cannot equal.

Now, you do the same thing with 4 and 9.

(Note: This isn't my particular area of expertise, so if it is wrong, feel free to correct me.)

Unknown, as the OP never asked for probability, the size or placement of the various regions doesn't matter. Just that those two scoring regions, and only those two, are on the board.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 10:19 AM

Ah! Now I understand! That's the second question of this kind I'm 'meeting', so, you don't expect me to recognise such a type of question, and I now understand the problem better. The thing was that the title included 'probability' and I thought that was about probability.

And I've got the answer for that number too! ;)

Ans: 23
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 01:33 PM

Yep, my guess is that the word "probability" in the title is either a misused term by the OP, or this setup has 2 questions, and the "probability" is related to the second one.

Yep, I got the answer too. I'm not going to post though, waiting for the OP to show some work.
    hollywooddoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
    The equation for this wher 2X+1=Y for the first consecutive number is always (X-1)(Y-1). Therefore the greatest number not attainable is simply (X-1)(Y-1)-1!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chess board probability [ 3 Answers ]

On a chessboard one white square is chosen at random . In how manyways , can a black square be chosen so that it doesnot lie in the same row as white square.

Probability of numbers [ 4 Answers ]

A bowl contains six black balls and four white balls. Two balls are drawn at random one at a time without replacement. Find the probability of drawing a white and a black ball.:confused:

Dart rules [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I get proper rules of the games in darts

Lottery numbers with probability [ 4 Answers ]

I'm having trouble with this math problem. I have the answer, but I don't know how to get to the answer. **In a New York State daily lottery game, a sequence of 5 digits (not necessarily different) in the range 0-9 are selected at random. Find the probability that all 5 are different.** The...

ProBaBiliTy WitH VaRiaBleS iNsTead Of Numbers [ 1 Answers ]

Digit d is randomly selected from the set {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9}. Without replacement of d, another digit, e is selected. What is the probability that the two digit number de is a multiple of 3? ... >>>this is for my math bonus! Any help will be appreciated=]

View more questions Search