Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tnangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Aug 11, 2009, 08:12 AM
    2 year old won't answer my questions he just mimes what I ask
    I am a nanny for a 2 year old. I cannot get him to answer me all he does is mime everything I ask. How do I get him to answer me when I ask him a question. He is good at talking with some words but others are uninteligible. Is it me since it has been 16 or some odd years since I have taught a child his age?? HELP!!
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 11, 2009, 08:34 AM

Some children don't really speak or comprehend early on as in the age of two. If he is an early two or an only child, he just may need a little more exposure to communication. The other possibility is that he is being two and just repeating you to be two. How long have you been trying to get him to answer you?

Aug 11, 2009, 08:38 AM
    It's a mixed family
    Boss is getting married and adding 2 to a family of 4 (shes nuts, but they are all beautiful kids and very well behaved.)
    Ive been working with him about 4 weeks now.
    He will sit and absorb movies though, very well Im thinking that's the way to go. IDK what to do but I think being able to get him to answer me properly is going to have to be the first step before I can even begin to poty train him.
    First mom wasn't a very attentive mom so I feel for my boss/friend and myself.
    Luckily they are great kids.
    Can't understand why anyone would neglect them.
    OH and thanks for the reasurrance that its just 2 year old behavior its been a while since I did this. I feel so lost, its so not like riding a bike.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tnangel View Post
    its a mixed family
    boss is getting married and adding 2 to a family of 4 (shes nuts, but they are all beautiful kids and very well behaved.)
    Ive been working with him about 4 weeks now.
    He will sit and absorb movies though, very well Im thinking thats the way to go. IDK what to do but I think being able to get him to answer me properly is going to have to be the first step before I can even begin to poty train him.
    First mom wasnt a very attentive mom so I feel for my boss/friend and myself.
    Luckily they are great kids.
    Can't understand why anyone would neglect em.
    OH and thanks for the reasurrance that its just 2 year old behavior its been a while since I did this. I feel so lost, its so not like riding a bike.

Just out of curiosity - you appear to be over your head here and have posted several times about your problems with this child.

How did you get hired for this job?

Otherwise I don't know why he has to answer you. You ask him if it's time for potty, he doesn't answer, you put him on the potty. In fact, don't you simply put him on the potty several times a day, anyway?

Perhaps 2 is a little young to try to potty train this particular child.

Aug 11, 2009, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Just out of curiosity - you appear to be over your head here and have posted several times about your problems with this child.

How did you get hired for this job?

Otherwise I don't know why he has to answer you. You ask him if it's time for potty, he doesn't answer, you put him on the potty. In fact, don't you simply put him on the potty several times a day, anyway?

Perhaps 2 is a little young to try to potty train this particular child.
    Um well I wouldn't say over my head. I have never potty trained in my life. I was the mothers friend in High school and went on to work in a high end pre school her eldest daughter went to when she was four therefore I didn't need to potty train any of them they came that way already. Therefore not having kids of my own I do not know the proper age to start this process (if that's being in over your head then I guess I am. )
    MsMewiththat Posts: 854, Reputation: 136

Aug 11, 2009, 10:17 AM

It's really understandable that you are in this position not having the experience, please don't take offense to that. It's not meant that way.
    From reading what you wrote above about the movies and the lack of stimulation with the child your work will be cut out for you, but not at all impossible. Attention is given to certain behaviors and even at two he may already have that figured out.
    There are a lot of really good books about potty training that get the children at least curious and interested in the concept. Since he likes to imitate I would get a book (on his level) and read it until he asks you to stop. There is a good book called everyboy poos or something of that nature... it talks about all the animals that potty and then at the end shows a little child and says even you or something like that... I'm certain there are a number of good ones.
    During the time that you are with him, keep talking to him and ask him to respond. Or respond for him so he can repeat it. Stir him away from the movies and the sitting and engage him in every day life. What he is looking for is stimulation and interaction. There is a great association developmentally with children that watch too much TV and not talking until later and the same is there for children that are read to. So since you are attempting to work on the training I would incorporate the two and read read read... best of luck.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 12:00 PM

Sounds like you are expecting too much out of a perfectly normal 2 year old. I say this with respect. Sometimes its normal for a parent/caregiver to worry (trust me, read through some of MY posts on my daughter and the boy I babysit both! LOL so your definitely preachig to the choir) but I definitely think your expecting him to grow up too fast. I did this too. And I'm slowly getting over it now.

Good luck hon. And relax. Even if he is behind a bit, he isn't so far behind that he needs help with it. I'm sure he will grow out of it. If he is 3 or 4 and still doing the same things, then its time to talk to his mother/doctor about it.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 12:13 PM

Also completely slipped my mind..

I would suggest you make it a requirement to answer before he gets anything.
    For example...

Ask him 'would you like some chips for a snack'
    If he repeats your question, ask him again, and let him know that he must answer yes or no before he gets the chips.
    rachelbunny Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Aug 31, 2009, 02:01 PM
    My son has Aspergers Syndrome and had a lot of trouble with language and communication even though, he's very clever. He's 7 now. Talk slowly and clearly, only a few words at a time, it sounds harsh but imagine you're giving a dog commands. Give him a moment to digest what you said and then to decide what you want him to do. He is extremely young so just keep it easy, no more than 3 words at a time and give him a little time to react. Don't expect too much from him and be very patient and don't get cross xx
    Jilldalil Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 03:19 PM
    One of my friends sons had this same problem. It ended up he was autistic! Give him some blocks tp play with and see if he builds them up like a tower or if he doesn't stack them at all. For some reason autistic kids don't usually stack the blocks.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 05:27 PM

He's 2 years old. Let's not all jump to the conclusion that there is a problem here. Maybe he's slow to communicate. The OP said he's been largely ignored. Maybe that's a factor. Maybe he need more exposure.

And maybe, if this appears to be a concern, he needs to see a Physician (assuming he doesn't go for regular check ups).

And here's info on autism and some info on Asperger's. Autism Society of America:
    rachelbunny Posts: 23, Reputation: 0

Sep 1, 2009, 03:57 AM
    That's a strange generalisation. There is something called the Autistic Spectrum, and there are lots of different levels of autism and each individual is different. My son was very difficult to diagnose, it took years for the 'experts' to agree that there was anything wrong, it's all very complex.

The child in question is probably fine but if there are any concerns, a health professional should become involved. X
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 06:19 AM
    We are all jumping to conclusions here and probably scaring this poor lady to death.

This child sounds perfectly normal to me. I am a mother of 4 myself. Children must learn to mimic in order to talk. At the age of 2 his thought processes are not complete. Mimicking is perfectly normal and expected.

I don't think, though, that the movies are necessarily a good idea... just an electronic babysitter. The child clearly needs interaction.

When you ask him if he wants milk and he copies you... Ask again... "Do you want milk? Yes, or no?" If he does not give you a yes or no, wait a while longer and ask again. This is not going to happen overnight, it will take time... just be patient.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't answer calls from me! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a tenant who won't pay rent, won't move furniture out and won't take calls from me. They do not use the house as a primary residence. They are very wealthy and definitely have the means to pay. Just incredibly evasive and dismissive. Dotn know where to turn. Someone please help! I cannot...

10 year relationship, 2 year marriage. And now he questions what true love is [ 2 Answers ]

Background (it's a long one, too): We are in our mid 20's and have known each other for 10 years. We dated exclusively through high school but without any commitment to marriage. That "in love" blissful feeling lasted for quite some time, well into our college years. He has always been a...

To all those that answer my questions [ 2 Answers ]

One part of this service that I don't like is that it will not let me rate all those who answer the questions for some reason. You have to wait and rate several other people first before rating them again which I don't like. So for all those people who answer my questions and don't receive ratings...

View more questions Search