Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HotPotato2009 Posts: 706, Reputation: 15

Aug 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
    Cooking in a Crock Pot
    Hello everyone :D

I have a crock pot at home that I want to start using. I was thinking about making black eyes peas and chili in it. Does anyone know any basic directions on how to make black eyes peas and chili?? Not together... seperate. I just want to learn how to make it.

Thanks!
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:22 AM

Chili is pretty simple since you can put just about anything in it. I make mine with 2 lbs of hamburger, 1 pound ground turkey, all tossed in a frying pan and browned. Mix that in with 4 tbsp of chili powder, 1 of garlic powder, some salt, pepper, kidney beans, a can of stewed tomatoes and can of tomato sauce

Set crock on low and in 8-12 hours, serve. Chili is all a matter of taste and a few basic (optional) ingredients.

Aug 11, 2009, 08:25 AM

Do you have to use ground turkey or can I use ground beef?
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HotPotato2009 View Post
    Do you have to use ground turkey or can I use ground beef?
    That's the great thing about chili - you can use anything you want. Beef, pork, chicken, nothing... all up to you!

Aug 11, 2009, 08:28 AM

Oh OK. I was thinking about putting beef sausages in it also. What do you think about that?
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:44 AM
    Oh ok. I was thinking about putting beef sausages in it also. What do you think about that?
    Never tried it myself, but its chili - can't go wrong. Ive had eggplant in chili before. Chili is like fingerprints... no two are alike and everyone's belong to them. I don't even bother to measure stuff now... just dump and taste. :)

Aug 11, 2009, 08:49 AM

Oh OK... does your chili come out good?. I know I know... dumb question but I was kind of liking your recipe. I went online and searched for chili recipes and didn't see any that interested me. I don't need to have green peppers or anything in it. Just plain chili

Aug 11, 2009, 08:52 AM
    [QUOTE=stevetcg;1916283]some salt, pepper, QUOTE]

How much salt and pepper?
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 09:01 AM
    [QUOTE=HotPotato2009;1916363]
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    some salt, pepper, QUOTE]

How much salt and pepper?
    "Some". Its really all a matter of personal taste. I guess about a teaspoon of salt and 2 of pepper, but I sort of just wing it. Taste it every now and then and if it seems to need something more, just add it in.

Chili is art. It's a personal thing. You may also add onion (I do if I have some around) green pepper, red pepper, cayanne...

Get creative, have fun.

Aug 11, 2009, 09:03 AM

Oh OK. What's cayenne? Is that the hot seasoning?
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Oh ok. What's cayenne? Is that the hot seasoning?
    Red pepper.

Some people like to use hot sauce, some like milder chili. Like I said... its all up to you and you can't go wrong. :)

Aug 11, 2009, 09:17 AM

Well thank you steve for your chili help :D. Now I need some help with black eyed peas? I hear that's easy too but I've never made it before

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I have dry crock pot chicken.what should I do? [ 34 Answers ]

I have started using my crock pot like crazy because it is so simple and easy. I am having a problem with my chicken being a little dry though. My husband thinks it is fine but I have not been able to eat my last 2 meals because I couldn't choke it down. I defrost my frozen chicken then put it in...

Crock Pot [ 13 Answers ]

Does anybody have any recipes for crock pot dishes? This would be a great time to share. (;

Crock Pot Recipes [ 23 Answers ]

Hey everyone I was given a crock pot and I'm just so curious to use it.. I've never used 1 before but now is the time. Can you guys recommend any good pot roast recipes or any good crock pot recipes... Thanks

Crock Pot [ 2 Answers ]

How long can you keep the food in the crock pot on Warm? Can you put the Hot crock pot of food into the refrigerator?

Crock pot [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to cook a pot roast in my 6qt crock pot. It's call a "Crock Watcher". It has an auto function besides low and high. I lost the book on this and wondered if anyone was fimiliar with this pot, and if was OK if I left it on 'auto' overnight, then swith to low in the morning till dinner time.

View more questions Search