Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgef
    It sounds like a furnace 3-way switch connected to a generator via a power inlet receptacle works just like a transfer switch, but with no circuit breaker. Is this the only difference?
    Correct.

Does it then follow that connecting a refrigerator or other appliance directly to a generator with an extension cord would present the same problem?
    Correct.

Lastly, is there any possible scenario where a 3-way switch could backfeed?
    None.

Be aware that I am not in any way a proponent of nor condoning 3 way switches to be used as transfer switches.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2007, 10:06 PM
    You might look at setting an outlet and adding a cord to you furnace. Note, The plate on my furnace lists 12 amps max. All the components would need to be rated for at least 15 amps. I have a fused shut off at my furnace. I could instal the plug and outlet before it, retaining the fuse protection. Then I could run my furnace off an extension cord.

Unfortunately, there have been some reports of furnaces refusing to run on perhaps poorly regulated generator current. Maybe I will even rig mine up as a test before investing in a transfer set up. The search feature works well here, try something like generator + furnace.
    jorgef Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 03:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    You might look at setting an outlet and adding a cord to you furnace.
    RE: Comparing furnace plug/outlet to 3-way switch.

A plug/outlet configuration would disconnect both the hot and the netural when the plug is alternated between generator and branch power. A 3-way switch would disconnect only the hot. So, is a common neutral with a 3-way switch at all problematic? I have read these claims:

a) Linesmen can be jolted by backfeed through common neutrals.

b) The neutral must be switched to prevent current from flowing on the equipment grounding conductor, e.g. a failed common neutral could fry the generator.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2007, 03:34 PM
    I never heard of a neutral causing a backfeed, since a neutral is grounded, both at the service and at the utility pole.

Most transfer switches whether manual or automatic do not switch, or open the neutral, and the genset neutral is tied directly to the system neutral, and, as I said, grounded. These are called Non-Separately Derived Systems.

Therefore, the neutral is at zero potential, and a lineman will not get hurt working the neutral. When they do work on the hot lines, they intentionally ground those hot wires to the neutral and/or ground line to be sure the hots are brought down to zero potential.

Can you provide some reference regarding:

b) The neutral must be switched
    jorgef Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Can you provide some reference regarding:

b) The neutral must be switched
    The above are claims made by users in other electrical forums, and they may be entirely incorrect. In seeking the opinions of others, such as those in this forum, I was hoping to discern fact from fiction. I believe you've done that for me and I appreciate your responses.
    onamission1 Posts: 21, Reputation: 0

Aug 21, 2009, 03:29 AM
    Hmm interesting
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2009, 07:30 AM

Onamission, this is an old post. Not sure the Interlockkits were available then, They are available now, and Personally I think it is the Best/safest/most efficient way for Transfer.
    Instead a small panel of Selected circuits, you can use anything on your Panel so long as it doesn't exceed the Generators Capacity.
    You need a Power inlet box, and the Interlockkit. I only allows the Main Breaker to be on OR the Generator Breaker, No Backfeeding. Most Cost Effective:
    http://www.interlockkit.com/
    EDIT
    I just looked back and the Interlockkit was mentioned, Although it is just metal Plates and stickers, It prevents backfeeding, it is much cheaper than the 8,10, 12 or whatever circuit transfer panel. You will pay more for the transfer panel and only a few select circuits can be used.
    ohb0b Posts: 215, Reputation: 14

Aug 22, 2009, 02:25 PM
    Actually, cheap transfer switches use "3-way" switches to individually switch branch circuits instead of transferring the entire service. These switches have individual fuses installed which take the place of the circuit breakers in your panel.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...&n=228013&s=hi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Networking Switch 2 Switch [ 2 Answers ]

I have 2 buildings I want to network together. They are currently being linked by 2 hubs but I would like to replace them with switches. Is there any known performance issues with linking switches together. (e.g. Bandwidth is less on the uplinked switch) I think I already know the answer but I'd...

New switch [ 2 Answers ]

HELP I've been to both Lowe's and home depot and no help yet. I'm installing a new switch and two new outlets both outlets to be energized at the same time. I've run three new 14/2 wires into the attic and joined them in a junction box I ran a new wire into an existing hot outlet which has two...

3-way switch wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble wiring a 3way light system. I am looking to run two lights from both ends of the switches. My explanation is I had a single light & switch at the top of stairs and a single light & switch at the bottom of stairs. I have ran 12-3 wires between switchs but not sure how to wire...

Transfer switch [ 6 Answers ]

I’ve recently purchased a Guardian 13kw standby generator with a transfer switch and load center panel. I have a couple of questions 1. The transfer panel had a total of 205 amps through 12 various breakers in it, can I replace some of them as long as I don’t go over the original 205 amps and use...

Limit Switch - Pressure Switch [ 0 Answers ]

Hello Folks, This weekend I've been playing with a heating system at my new apartment and I'm trying to figure out what the different componets do. I kind of followed the circuit but still have some missing links... 1-There are some terminals on the furnace's circuit board labeled LIMIT. The...

View more questions Search