Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frostybabygurl Posts: 117, Reputation: 6

Aug 11, 2009, 07:24 AM
    What kind of Bug is this?
    OK last night, I went into my bathroom and there was this bug just sitting in the tub next to my cat (who I shall now refer to as useless since he didn't even bat an eye at it lol), anyways... I don't like bugs and this thing was pretty big, probably an inch or so, it didn't run or seem afraid of the light, I called hubby to take care of it and as you can see from the pic it's a little wet and squished. I'm praying that it's not an oriental cockroach. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
    Attached Images

N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:40 AM

It looks like an earwig or a beetle

I don't think it looks quit like a roach
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:08 AM

I would say it is some kind of beatle.
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:17 AM
    It looks like a black beetle, not an earwig or a cockroach.

Name:  carabid-I2.jpg
Views: 31949
Size:  24.1 KB
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 08:19 AM
    It is indeed a beetle, of the group called ground beetles.

To keep up with my smart-aleck certification, I should also point out that hubby did a good job - it is a dead beetle.

To keep its' cousins from invading further, I would recommend applying a band of insecticide granules at least eight feet wide around the house. Make sure to "water them in," so that they dissolve into the soil.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:21 AM

Yep justfairs pic is it.
    That is what I was thinking but with it squished I couldn't really tell for positive
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

Aug 13, 2009, 11:06 AM
    I agree with the family identification. It is a carabid ground beetle, but I respectfully disagree with the recommendation to apply pesticides. Carabids in the house are only incidental occurrences, and actually, most carabids are beneficial because they are predators on other insects and even snails, that are often pests. It is unnecessary to control for ground beetles. Standard window screens, and door thresholds should keep them out of the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

WHAT kind of pet? [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for a pet. But I am very picky about them It can't be a dog or cat but something like a cat No animals that carry dangerous diseases I don't want a mouse or anything like that No fish unless it's a starfish or an intersting type I want a pet that bonds with his owner and loves to...

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

View more questions Search