Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MickyNg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 07:06 AM
    Handicapped Parking Violation
    My mother (who was dropping me off at CVS), had gotten something in her eye and couldn't drive. We were by the handicapped parking area and she knows very well that she cannot park there, so she parked in an area in between two handicapped lanes. This area has no handicap signs in the front of her car, nor did it have the handicapped symbol painted on the floor. What it did have were these yellow diagonal lines. She knew that she couldn't parked there, but she only had the intention of clearing her eyes, and she wasn't in a handicapped lane. However, the commotion, as she was about to leave an officer came up and gave her a ticket of $250 for "Handicapped Parking."

My mother could had easily parked in a handicapped lane to fix her eyes, but she had made sure that the lane she parked in did NOT have the handicapped symbol or sign in front.

Is this justified, even though my mother wasn't in a handicapped lane? I know that she should get a ticket; for she parked in a non-parking area. However, I feel that at most, she should a ticket for a restricted parking zone or something, since she was NOT in a handicapped lane. Any ideas or suggestions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2009, 07:10 AM

Diagonal lines indicate a no parking zone. However, a handicapped area would generally be blue, not yellow.

Your mom can try to fight this in traffic court (not small claims) on the grounds that a) she was not in a handicapped area and b) she was not "parked since she didn't leave the car.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 07:16 AM

Unfortunately for your mom the judge will have heard many other excuses of equal need and will likely still uphold the ticket. His logic may be that if she could see well enough to pull into that spot she could have taken one of the non-handicapped parking spots. Pleading innocent and stating her case may make her feel better and, who knows, she may prevail.
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Aug 13, 2009, 07:22 AM

Of course this will likely vary from state to state, but in my state (MD), the area you are talking about is considered the "van access" area, and is provided so that there is room for a vehicle parked in the adjacent handicap space to load and unload wheelchairs and other similar devices. I was a court bailiff and heard this matter argued a few times, the defendant always lost. Its considered part of the handicap space.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Handicapped Parking [ 2 Answers ]

If you are legally handicapped and have a handicapped parking decal, is it legal for a landlord to tell you that the handicapped parking is reserved for one particular tenant?

Movie about a handicapped man [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Not long ago I watched a movie trailer about a friendship between a handicapped man and a regular guy. In the scene where the two first meet, (takes place in a restaurant), the regular guy watches the handicapped having trouble eating. There's also a scene where they are getting kicked out...

Motorcycle parking violation for being near a handicap spot? [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, yesterday at Wal-Mart I ran in for a few minutes to grab a few things and parked my motorcycle on the striped pavement in between 3 concrete posts that were NEAR handicap spots, but not actually in one. I know not to park beside them, etc. on a bike in case vans with lift gates and things...

Disrespect for the Handicapped [ 6 Answers ]

My mother is wheelchair bound. This is not a small issue, as she is unable to use a walker at this point and weighs around 180 bpounds. My mother is 70 years old and so is my father who cares for her full time. Once a week, my father pays my son to sit for my mother for a full day. She enjoys this...

Handicapped divorce [ 33 Answers ]

I am thinking about divorcing my handicapped wife.We have been married for 20 years.She became paralyzed 17 years ago.She is in a wheelchair.We have 1 son.She no longer desires sex,so I constantly crave it. She has a job,but cannot be self sufficient.We have been to counseling,but no feelings are...

View more questions Search