Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    katystubbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 05:23 AM
    Fraud or Theft
    Hi, I am hoping that someone can offer some help. I'm in the US so hopefully someone will be familiar with the law here. Ok here goes. I have a corporate purchasing card and have been using it for about 10 months for personal charges that may now total a little over $5000 (I'm not certain). It just coming to light. I'm hoping to work something out with my employer and pay for all the charges before a full investigation is launched. My reason offered was that they were all accidents I inadverently was using the card for personal use (that I confused it with my own personal card). Does that sound believeable? I am so scared and nervous about this poor decision and lapse in judgement.

Questions: How likely will they be to work with me on handling this WITHOUT legal action? Should I get an attorney? Could I face jail time/fine?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 05:28 AM

I would not lie, accident, adding up to over 5000, no way anyone is going to believe it.

I would go in with as much money as I could pawn, borrow or sell blood and give it to them upfront, and see if you can work out a deal to pay the rest back

They can just do this civil, and make you pay it back.

If they call the police, yes you could go to jail. I would get an attorney if they involve the police
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:31 AM

No your story doesn't sound believable.
    It is one of many that people use after the fact of getting caught.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:34 AM

It doesn't even sound a little believable. Unless you can produce your personal card and it looks identical to your corperate card except the number, they are going to call BS and it might even anger them to the point of making this criminal.

Fr_Chuck's advice is pretty spot on.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 05:43 AM

Even if it is the same looking OP should have had an entirely different PIN on it.
    Plus did OP keep ALL personal purchases separate from business purchases?
    If not it makes her story even MORE unbelievable.
    katystubbs Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2009, 07:19 AM

If the card is in my name and linked to my social. Is it possible that I will just be responsible for the charges and avoid legal action?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by katystubbs View Post
    If the card is in my name and linked to my social. Is it possible that I will just be responsible for the charges and avoid legal action?
    Possible? Sure. But be prepared to pay for is fast. Its been my experience that employees are expendable. You may also be fired over this, I'm sure you have realized.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft and fraud under $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, Im a 25 yr old Medical Student and made the biggest mistake of my life a few months ago when I stole $600 from my employer! The cops took me away and I totally denied the whole thing and have been charged with Theft under $5000 and fraud now! This is my 1st offence... The cops say they...

Theft/fraud under 5000 [ 1 Answers ]

I recently foolishly stole money off my dads bank cards and now the police are getting involved and I know I will for sure be caught because my face is all over bank cameras. The sum of money taken totals about 1200 dollars. I'm 19 and this is would be my first offence and I am not known to police....

Theft or fraud over $5000 [ 20 Answers ]

Well first of all, I'm in ontario so I guess any answers someone can give me, hopefully you're familiar with ontario/canadian law. All I want to know is if I committed a crime/fraud/theft or otherwise. I feel like crap for what I did. I screwed up in a big way but I really meant for things to...

Theft and fraud under [ 1 Answers ]

I have been charged with theft and fraud under. I have admitted my quilt. I am a first time offender. What can I expect.

View more questions Search