Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TripletMama Posts: 11, Reputation: -1

Aug 10, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Medical records release for employment
    Hello, all,
    I recently had to sign a medical records release form for possible employment. Will my psychiatric records be released as well? I have been told that psych records are an entirely different issue where releases are concerned, but I am worried that a about of depression that I received treatment for may prevent me from getting a much coveted job! Any answers would be appreciated.
    Thank you!
    TM
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 08:12 PM

You would have to have signed a release for each doctor. BUT whatever information your regular doctor might have in his files on your psychiatric depression issues would be released.

Aug 10, 2009, 08:14 PM

Thank you! I sought out treatment on my own - I was not referred, so I don't think my PCP has anything in his notes. Would the records being requested come from my PCP or from my insurance co?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 08:21 PM

Who did you sign the release with?
    If you signed the release with your work then you would have given them the doctors name of who you are giving the permission to release the information.
    If you signed the release at the doctors office then he is the one again that would be releasing the information.
    Only the ones you name as having permission can give the information.
    You don't give the psych or the ins. co. name then you aren't giving them permission.
    At least that's the way it worked last time I had to sign releases.

Aug 10, 2009, 08:32 PM

I had to submit it with my application for a government job. It was a form letter, saying (basically), "I authorize the release of my medical records to ABC Government Offices". No specifics, and no doctor's name. I was wondering how in the heck they know WHO to get the records from in the first place.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 10:21 PM

Oh they are the government so they can basically find out anything and everything.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:53 AM

Hello:

Just for your information... There is a Medical Information Bureau very similar to the credit bureaus that keeps ALL your medical records.

Bummer, huh?

Like the credit bureau, it's MY opinion that you have access to your file and can make any corrections that you find... The following is from their website:

MIB’s toll-free number for disclosure is 866-692-6901 (TTY 866-346-3642 for hearing impaired). Note: Do not use this number if you are a Canadian resident.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Aug 11, 2009, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Just for your information..... There is a Medical Information Bureau very similar to the credit bureaus that keeps ALL your medical records.

Bummer, huh?
    The website is here. About.com: http://www.mib.com/

It doesn't look like the MIB will report medical info. To anybody but it's member insurance companies; not potential employers. And they require your written consent.
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 10:09 AM

Everywhere requires written consent.
    From what OP said she gave written consent.
    Her problem is she doesn't know where they are going to get the information from.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file suit for release of my medical records I didn't authorize? [ 17 Answers ]

I just found out yesterday that my entire chart of my medical records was copied and sent to an auto insurance company for the other party that hit me last year. They are attempting to settle with me and told me that it has taken so long because they were sent 70 pages of my medical records. I...

Pre-Employment Background Checks - Military Records [ 1 Answers ]

I was honorably disharged from the Army, but I had an Art 15 (Non-Judicial Punishment) for "Illegal Use f Hallucinogen". NJPs are an administrative action OUTSIDE of the legal system. It is not a misdemeanor, nor is it a felony. It is a mechanism whereby the military can punish its own without...

Can my doctor release my records? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi All. My Psychiatrtist was asked to relsease all my records to my insurance company I have said no, I don't want them released to anyone AT ALL. Will my doctor get in trouble for this? How much can my insurance company ask for? My doctor has already given them the PCT codes so he can get...

Hipaa pertaining to release of medical records [ 4 Answers ]

Our patient's attorney is requesting all medical records. We do not release records we have obtained from prior providers. Are we obliged to send other provider's records? This is a large chart with prior provider's records.

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search