Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    begtwg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Pro Bono Lawyers in Alabama
    Just wondering if there were any pro-bono lawyers in Alabama who would take on a capital case?

In desperate need of a new lawyer for fiancée.

Any information would be great! I hear that most lawyers won't do anything pro-bono for a capital case and we don't have the money to get him one. The lawyer appointed to his case, isn't the best... has only handled divorce and bankruptcy cases, 1 capital case and lost. He doesn't do anything at all to help him, in court he is silent.

Please help.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 06:14 PM

I don't know your county so I hope this helps

Alabama State Bar Association, Montgomery
    415 Dexter Avenue, Montgomery 36104, Phone: (334) 269-1515
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 06:17 PM

If your boyfriend has no money he can ask the court to appoint an attorney for him. Most criminal attorneys will take cases from the Court and get paid for their time through the Court. In Florida most court appointed attorneys in capital cases are private attorneys who do cases for the Court.

You won't find a pro bono attorney to work for free in a capital case. This could result in many hours of unpaid work and if it goes to trial many hours spent in a courtroom unpaid.

The present attorney he has obviously has not handled many criminal cases. Depending on what the capital felony is, you definitely do not need his services as he is best suited for divorce court or bankruptcy court. Your boyfriend can petition the court to have this attorney replaced by an attorney more suited to this matter.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:38 AM

Hello b:

If it were me, and my lawyer wasn't qualified, I'd FIRE him. I'd do it in a certified letter explaining exactly what you did here. Have your boyfriend send a copy to the prosecutor AND the judge.

He'll get another lawyer appointed. IF the new lawyer is just another warm body placed at his table so that the state CAN convict him, fire that SOB too.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:51 PM

Exie, only one problem with your great scenerio. Here in Ohioland (and maybe in Alabamaland) a Judge will give you one public defender and possibly a second public defender, but the third public defender ain't going to happen. The Judge will probably tell you to get your own 3rd attorney as he already gave you two so far. At least that's what they do up here in backwardsstate Ohio. Am not aware of any felony case getting a 3rd public defender appointed (up here anyway).
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Am not aware of any felony case getting a 3rd public defender appointed (up here anyway).
    Hello twink:

Me neither... But, in order to preserve his appeal rights, if he's given another incompetent attorney, he must at least TRY to fire him...

excon
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:55 PM

Yeah when you get up there in switching lawyers the court often thinks there is something wrong with you rather than the lawyers.
    begtwg Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 02:33 PM

This is his first lawyer on this case, it is in Tuscaloosa County, there are 55 guys in the jail with him that are charged with the same thing. I spoke with his doctor because he gave full right for me to be told anything that he is told. The doctor who is a forensic psych. said that there are so many capital cases going on that they are scooping from the bottom of the barrel, that is why we haven't asked for another lawyer yet, we are scared that we will get an even worse one. That is why I was asking if there were any GOOD ones out there that would like to do a good deed. BUT most lawyers are greedy and don't want to work for free. They have NO evidence against him, just some "statements" from a pissed off ex and his brother who is scared (he is also being charged with the same thing). I am really scared that this lawyer is going to be a lazy bastard and NOT do his best. Unless he has something up his sleeve that I do not know about and my boyfriend does know about... I'd be surprised though. Thank you everyone for your help. Anything else would be greatly appreciated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seeking a Pro Bono Lawyer in NJ [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know of any Lawyer or Lawyers doing or will do Pro Bono work in New Jersey, Possibly northern New Jersey

Finding PRO BONO to found charity organization [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I turn to for free limited assistance with incorporating and 501(c)3 paperwork so we can get going... we are a group of diabled hoping to help the disabled [email protected]

Looking for pro bono in Tx [ 2 Answers ]

:( I really don't know what to ask. I've never thought to seek help from anyone besides a doctor, which I really can't afford. I suffer from severe depression. When I'm depressed, nothing can make me happy. I have two wonderful children, and a loving boyfriend, but when I'm down, even that doesn't...

Pro Bono? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband has been incarcerated since 1989. He was given a LIFE sentence for shooting an empty parked car. Although no one was in or around the car, only 2 bullets hit the car, he has already served 18 years. He has filed several appeals, tried to get commutation of sentence, ineffective...

View more questions Search