Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duprichard Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 08:57 AM
    Divorce - travel expenses
    I was divorced in the State of Rhode Island. My ex has since moved to PA and I now live in New York City. Currently, I take care of all travel and travel expenses during child visitation. I want my ex to provide half. Would a judge typically award this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2006, 09:03 AM
    The one thing I can always be sure of is that you will never know what a child custody and divorce judge will do. They will look at the incomes the distance and costs involved and many factors.

But of course you will never get it if you don't try. Having gone back to court maybe 40 times over 18 years with my two boys, Going back to court for one or both parties is a almost normal situation for all sorts of reasons
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Nov 19, 2006, 02:16 PM
    Who has custody? Who was the first to move out of Rhode Island (thereby incurring travel expenses?) The custodial or non-custodial parent? Now both parents are relocated. What were the reasons for the moves? These and other factors would figure in to whether a judge would award what you're asking. There's also an issue of jurisdiction since the divorce was awarded in Rhode Island but now both parents live in different states. Your best bet is to start by consulting an attorney in New York. You may eventually have to pass the buck to a Rhode Island attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel expenses deduction F1 to H1B [ 4 Answers ]

I was doing my OPT during 2005, until June 30 when my F1 visa expired. The employer sponsored me and I had to go back home in July to get my H1B and returned to the US on October 1st, to start working again. Can I deduct the airfare for going back home and get my visa? Can I deduct some visa fees...

Ncp moving out of state, travel expenses? [ 2 Answers ]

I have full physical custody but my ex may be moving out of state and wants me to pay for half of plane tickets if he does. I won't stop him from moving but I don't feel it is fair for me to have to pay half the expense as he wants her to fly to visit quite often. Does anyone know how CA courts...

Expenses on H1 B [ 3 Answers ]

I am working on W2 for a consulting company. My client is willing to pay for my expenses at client place directly to me. Can I accept checks from client directly. They are paying from expense account. Is it OK to accept checks from them while you work for another company on W2 and you...

Cashed in 401k for divorce expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering now that tax season is in full swing, if I could get a tax break on my 401k money that I cashed out. I was told at one time divorce could be used as a hardship. I have two dependants and I made $32,000 last year. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Relocation expenses [ 3 Answers ]

My firm reimbursed $3000 of relocation expenses, but some of those included meals, househunting trip expenses etc, which are not tax-deductible under the rules I seem to be reading online. However on my w-2 in box 12, the amount is $3000. When I'm figuring out the excess of what I was reimbursed...

View more questions Search