Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RedMermaid Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Aug 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Why Are My Chickens Attacking/Eating Each Other?
    Hello, this is my first post.

I have a small backyard flock, now consisting of 8 chickens of mixed breeds, Araucana and Barred Rocks, and a mix of the two. They are less than a year old. I don't know the exact age, because I got them from a farmer with too many chickens.

I also had a Rhode Island Red and a Laced Wyandotte. They were about 4 months old.

I have had them for about 3 weeks now. They live in a nice shed with a 12X6' fenced area outside. I feed them layer mash, supplemented with veggies, fruit, and I even found a huge ant nest that I scooped out and fed to them.

3 mornings ago, I went outside to feed them, and I found that my Wyandotte was dead, and the Araucanas were eating her. Her face and throat had been ripped off.
    I didn't find any evidence that the coop had been broken into by a wild animal.

The next morning, about 2 am, I heard the chickens squawking. I thought for sure something had broken in. I went out, and found my little Red was sitting there, alive, but half of her face had been ripped off. She died shortly after. All of the chickens were running around, so I don't know which one did this.

I don't know what to do! I don't know which chicken is doing this. Why would a chicken become cannibalistic like this? I have seen chickens peck each other, pull feathers, but nothing so grim like this.

If anyone has any answers or suggestions, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 04:13 PM

Can you set up a cam corder?
    I know some chickens do attack and are cannabilistic, but I don't know anything about breeds of chickens.
    Can you possibly make wire dividers to separate some of them?
    I think I would start by separating the breeds.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 04:15 PM
    I found a link that may be helpful

Chicken Breeds Chart - Back Yard Chickens
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 04:22 PM
    I had an Araucana rooster, it was the meanest chicken I have ever seen. It would attack my wife when she went to get eggs. It attacked a friend of mine's little girl and scratched her. He attacked me once , just once. He's no longer with us. I love chicken and dumplings. Maybe they are having a turf war.
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 04:27 PM

Have to spread the rep that is exactly what I am thinking. The other chickens seem to be a friendly breed than the Araucana.

Aug 10, 2009, 06:50 PM

I also forgot to say that the araucanas are bantams. The other chickens are standard size... Should I just get rid of them?
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 06:56 PM

I would at least separate them if possible and see if that helps.

Aug 10, 2009, 07:01 PM

I will try that... I am just blown away by the whole thing. I think I may try the cam thing too.
    handyamby Posts: 29, Reputation: 7

Aug 10, 2009, 07:47 PM

I would bet money it is a weasel or an ermine. There would be no sign of them. They are small and thin and could easily take out a small chicken. The other chickens would eat the dead body but I can't see them killing the chicken, unless it was over zealous rooster attempting to mate (they hold the hen by the back of the head) Does it happen at night? You could set live traps, I don't know what bait for ermines/weasels.
    Oh and be careful about the layer mix food, some brands are toxic to other animals like horses, dogs and people.

Aug 10, 2009, 07:48 PM
    Yeah, if it happens at night it is not the chickens, they can't see at night.

Aug 11, 2009, 09:23 AM

I was confused about them being up at night.. But last night I was waiting for something to happen.. And the Araucanas were up and moving around when I looked in on them, while the others were sleeping! Maybe its because I believe they have been severely inbred. They don't behave like normal chickens ought to.
    Tonight I will set the hav-a-hart trap.
    George Leigh Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Aug 11, 2009, 09:37 AM

I'm thinking it's some kind of predator, a weasel, a fox, an owl, someone's cat, an opposum or raccoon even. The chickens like was said will grab each other by the scruff of the neck like a mother cat carries a kitten, and having small bantams mixed in with larger, stonger ones, their necks could get broken and be killed that way maybe, but normally if a predator like a cat is reaching in and grabbing one, trying to pull it through the wire, it would draw blood that way which would attract the other hens to peck at the wound, causing the big wounds you saw. Could you leave a light on in the coop to discourage nocturnal animals?

Aug 11, 2009, 09:37 AM

I'm thinking it's some kind of predator, a weasel, a fox, an owl, someone's cat, an opposum or raccoon even. The chickens like was said will grab each other by the scruff of the neck like a mother cat carries a kitten, and having small bantams mixed in with larger, stronger ones, their necks could get broken and be killed that way maybe, but normally if a predator like a cat is reaching in and grabbing one, trying to pull it through the wire, it would draw blood that way which would attract the other hens to peck at the wound, causing the big wounds you saw. Could you leave a light on in the coop to discourage nocturnal animals?

Aug 12, 2009, 12:18 PM

Also I have read where feeding the pelleted diets that come in a bag can lead to more cannibalism. Maybe they scrape the chickens throats and they start liking the taste of blood? You can add a little water to the pellets as you feed them so they are crumbly instead of hard, feed cracked corn or scratch grains on the ground, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much about inbreeding in your backyard flock, I mean you are not taking them to pedigreed chicken shows, right? They eat, they sleep, they cackle, they squirt eggs out their little chicken behinds, you know? You don't need them to go to college. I loved that movie Chicken Run. Also if they are inbred, their eggs would very likely just fail to hatch.

Aug 12, 2009, 04:49 PM

By the way, do you have hens, or roosters? Roosters often don't get along and if you got them from a farmer with to many, I would think he would likely be getting rid of roosters not hens. Do they lay eggs? Some breeds of chickens the roosters are not easy to identify because they don't have large combs or spurs. If they fight, likely they are roosters.

Aug 12, 2009, 08:13 PM
    I have all hens. The bantams are the aggressive ones, attacking the largers chickens. I walked out this morning to find one of the bantams locked onto a larger chicken's face, absolutely going berserk. :eek: They were spinning in circles and every time the larger one got away, the smaller one would jump back and latch onto her face. She is now separated. I think she might find her way to the oven. ;)

Aug 12, 2009, 08:20 PM

AND... I went to see the farmer that I got these chickens from.. He has a tiny farm.. but over 200 birds running around.. P.E.T.A. would probably have a fit.
    Anyway, he told me he was getting rid of some of his chickens, because some of the brooding mothers were eating each others chicks.

Aug 14, 2009, 11:04 AM

A lot of farms get rid of the hens after the first year. They moult and stop laying eggs at this time and folks don't want the expense of feeding them until they start up laying again, it's easier to just get more "spring" chickens. Younger chickens lay more eggs too, and if you are looking at a profit margin of a few cents per egg, they are the money makers.
    Large chicken farms can have tens of thousands of birds all packed into one building, so a tiny farm with 200 hundred chickens is not that horrible, just expensive. Say a chicken takes up about 2 square feet per bird, a building the size of a garage would provide a coop for 150 of them, even more if it was a high rise with several floors.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMermaid View Post
    I think she might find her way to the oven. ;)
    I was just driving past Burger King their sign says

ANGRY CHICKEN SPECIAL

... did you sell that bird??

Aug 14, 2009, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u View Post
    I was just driving past Burger King their sign says

ANGRY CHICKEN SPECIAL

.....did you sell that bird???

Heheheheheheheh :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Old English game bantam chickens [ 1 Answers ]

I am searching for silver laced old English game bantam chickens.

Backyard Chickens [ 3 Answers ]

Recently I adopted 6 baby chicks. I built them a nice coop and a run in the back yard. I kepts them inside in a brooding coop until they had feathers. Now they are outside in their new coop. I let them out to roam the back yard outside of the run just about everyday. They have been growing very...

Baby Chickens [ 4 Answers ]

How Can You Tell If A Baby Chick Is A Boy Or Girl ?

Chickens [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone raise chickens in town? I am allowed to have chickens in town so I am building a chicken coop. I ordered some Leghorns and Rhode Island reds. Would like to know any "tricks" or info regarding the best way to handle them. Thanks.

Young Chickens killing and eating each other. [ 7 Answers ]

Why do my young chicks kill and eat each other? When I go out in the morning there are numerous dead and the others are pecking the dead carcasses. Help!

View more questions Search