Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Aug 10, 2009, 11:11 AM
    Prepping to paint
    I have removed the wallpaper from my bathroom and intend to paint it. I have been told that I need to add some texture to the walls first. Is this strictly a personal preference or is there a beneficial reason for doing it?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 11:19 AM

I don't know what they mean by 'adding texture' before you paint, after removing wallpaper. I would wash well to remove all the residue of paste, sand a bit, fill in holes with polyfilla and sand that as well. Then paint.

Tick
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Aug 10, 2009, 11:25 AM

You might just need to sand it then paint it. Try a little patch and see how it works.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:50 AM

Texture is mostly a personal taste, but it can help hide imperfections. On the other hand, it makes fixing things later more difficult too.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 10, 2009, 11:53 AM

I see, adding texture... okay. This is something you do if your wall is in ext remely bad shape. There are paints available now that are texturized, very expensive. Or, if your wall is in bad shape you can use the new paint rollers with a pattern in them for overlay of another corresponding colour after you paint.

Tick
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 12:12 PM

I have been told that I need to add some texture to the walls first.
    I could be wrong hear but I think the "texture" is a misused word and Primed is the what your thinking of. Either or the wall needs primed before anything goes on in a paint/texture application

When ever you paint over a wall that has been stripped of wall paper there is always a chance some glue residue is left/ If this is a plaster wall the vinegar is what's use to cut the old glue. Either or always use a Binz or Kilzs to prime the wall. This takes away the chance for the glue to bleed through the paint and it will.

Also Tint the primer/sealer Binz or Kilz to the color you want for the finish. This will enhance the color depthness to reach the swatch you picked out in color.

Binz or kilz is not a regular paint primer you buy to paint. It's a stain blocker and primer all in one not to mention sealing the wall from moisture in a bathroom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Painting and Prepping exterior cedar shingle siding [ 2 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to take off old peeling paint from exterior cedar shingles and prep them for painting?

Prepping repaired walls for painting [ 6 Answers ]

I've made a bunch of repairs to plaster walls in a bedroom, taped, and mudded the repairs. What's the best way to clean/prep the walls for priming and painting to clean the walls of dust? Will a damp rag do the trick, or should I use a cleaning solution like TSP? Thanks.

I am a girl and have to figure out what paint and how to paint my barn? [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so now that I have your attention.. I have a very old existing barn with not much paint on it. Who knows when and with what type of paint was used it is so weathered. I think I can just paint over it. In its condition I would have to sand it. The paint is not flaking it is just very weathered...

What prep work is needed to change from oilbase paint to waterbase paint? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anything I need to do to prep my kitchen from oilbase paint to water base paint ?

Prepping for a garage pad! [ 3 Answers ]

Hey fellas, getting close to starting this project and here is what I got listed so far. 1. Bobcat work, getting a contractor to come in a clear out a patch and remove the topsoil from my property. He'll go down at least 8 inches, and will keep going till he hits the hard clay. 2. I'll rent...

View more questions Search