Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:04 AM
    Drain moths
    What is procedure to rid drain moths from pipe?

Chuck
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 10, 2009, 11:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    What is procedure to rid drain moths from pipe?

Chuck
    I hope you're not infested because they're a real dog to get rid of.

MOTH OR DRAIN FLIES Moth or drain flies are small black flies which thrive in drain pipes and sewer lines. They need a lot of moisture to complete their life cycle. Drain flies do not fly well. They tend to drift and seem to float along more than fly. Their wings are shaped like a leaf of a plant and one can see hair like fibers on all parts of their body which is why they are also called moth flies. I have dealt with drain fly infestations in many homes which start in the sink or bathroom shower. The drain lines which have the most activity seem to be the ones most likely to have an infestation. I have also observed that homes with septic tanks seem most likely to get them. I am not sure if there is some kind of build up which occurs more with this type of drainage or if there is something in the tank which allows these flies to prosper. Although these homes seem more likely to get drain flies, once the cycle begins it takes place in the home. I have encountered several infestations where the larva were found crawling out of shower or bath tub drains. The homeowners thought they were some kind of leach. In fact, the larva of drain flies thrive in a slime buildup which is on virtually any drain pipe which is used a lot. This slime enables the eggs which are laid to be protected and sheltered. The eggs and hatching larva embed themselves in this slime so they don't wash away. The cycle of these flies takes around a month to complete. Don't waste your time with bleach or other cleaning solvents. Showers and tubs which have ceramic tiles may also supply a moist slimy environment in which they can live. Sump pumps and wet crawl spaces are other environments where I have seen them live. Drain flies can be harder to control than other small flies. Although there are several products to kill adults, the key is maintaining and minimizing their breeding areas. This could prove to be difficult and ongoing. Like most flies, there are several products available for their control. Use a "SPACE SPRAY" for immediate relief of the adults. There are several to choose from in the section below. This will quickly control the adults, but the secret to getting rid of them is to use a product we sell which removes the slime build up on drain pipes. By removing this slime, the larva cannot develop. This will stop the cycle. In the "SURFACE SPRAY" section below, look for the product called SURVIVORS. This is applied down drain pipes and will remove the nest sights these flies need. You may also use the product called PT-CYKICK which is located in the same section. It is ideal for treating in cracks and crevices where these flies like to lay eggs. Such cracks will develop around ceramic tile, windows and grout joints. All articles copy righted by U-Spray, Inc.
    Click on: fly treatment, Fly Treatment, FLY TREATMENT, fly treatment, Fly Treatment, FLY TREATMENT, cluster flies, cluster fly, fruit fly, fruit flies, house flies, housefly, for fly control products. Good luck, Tom
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks Tom

This was just a point of info. As far as iknow I'm clean

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Testosterone for 2 moths [ 9 Answers ]

k Hey you I got some questions, I'm worried and I need some help, I am a running back in football and I love football man its so fun I want to play in college and everything but I'm not big like in mass... I'm 16 and my stats are Fast: 40= 4.79 145 lbs bench: 215 Squat: 280 Incline: 195-200...

Trying to Conceive for 6 moths now [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been trying to conceive for 6 months and haven't had much of luck. When we have sex his sperm always seems to sit at the surface of my vagina. If I get up it runs right out, I've even tried going sleep for the night and waking up the next morning to get up and it still runs...

Pantry moths! [ 8 Answers ]

We had a major problem with pantry moths a couple of years ago. Then we cleared everything out and put anything that hadn't been contaminated into tightly sealed glass jars. Still, these little pests keep coming back! There aren't many of them, but I know they're still here. Is there a...

Butterfly v. Moths [ 1 Answers ]

Technically, what is the difference between a moth and a butterfly.

Moths being brown [ 4 Answers ]

Why are moths brown?

View more questions Search