Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubylee9 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Obtaining a Second Mortgage
    I would like to know the risk of second mortages. My husband and I have a 159,000 loan and right now our credit is over our head. My score was 678 but now it is 607 because all my credit cards are max out. We were thinking about taking out a second mortgage but we really don't know the pros and cons can someone please let me know?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Pros:
    generally lower interest rate than unsecured debt like credit cards
    interest is tax deductible under most conditions

Cons:
    If you default, you could lose your home
    amount available is dependent on the equiy you have (value -outstanding mortgage)

Getting a home equity loan is a good way of consolidating your debt and reducing monthly payment. But, if used as debt consolidation, it needs to be accompanied by behavor modification. You need to stop using your credit cards and not buy anything you don't have the cash for. Otherwise your credit card debt will just go back up and you will be in a worse position.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2006, 09:22 AM
    If you do this, cut up every credit card and don't ever get another one.

What I see happen time and time again is people do this and then in two years have maxed their cards out again.

Actually what can help more than this is a tight budget and learning to live within your means.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mortgage fraud? [ 8 Answers ]

In 1999 my mother who is elderly signed a second mortgage to an individual Who had business dealings with my sister, who was 50 years old at the time. (Deceased 2003) This individual and my sister convinced my mother to back a loan my sister had Apparently taken out, however the request for...

Obtaining a Greek passport [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I am interested in getting a Greek passport. I am a US citizen. Both of my parents are from Greece but have become US citizens. How do I go about getting one? Thanks

Obtaining Rental History from a former landlord [ 3 Answers ]

I need to obtain a letter about my rental history or a legitimate contact from a former landlord. I moved to Chicago from Los Angeles area in September 2005. I lived at the Los Angeles residence from 7/2000 to 9/2005. The building was sold to a company called 800 Gold LTD in 2002. The onsite...

Mortgage payment per month [ 8 Answers ]

I just received 30,000 which I plan to use for a down payment on a house if my credit is average and I plan to spend about 150,000 on a house what am I looking at spending per month on a mortgage payment?

Can you trust Cyberjoint in obtaining portuguese passports? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone :) , Has anyone heard about this company which is in Goa, they claim to help people in the getting portuguese passports. I have spoken to them but since I live in Dubai, I am not sure if I should trust them my doucuments or cash, that needs to be transferred to their account. ...

View more questions Search