Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    digital_dilemma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
    Recommendation requested for capacitor issue, I think.
    Came home from trip, AC not working on one of three units. Went outside and fan motor was hot, but not turning. I turned off power to the unit for 30 minutes. Went back out and turned on power. Fan hummed, but did not turn. I used a wooden paint stick and gave the blades a little push and the unit roared to life.

However, the compressor doesn't seem to kick it. I assume that the outside unit's capacitor needs to be replaced since the fan needed a kick start, but does this have any bearing on the action or inaction of the compressor to start up? If not, then besides replacing the capacitor, what else should I check before calling in an experienced service tech?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 07:29 PM
    It depends. If the fan was off and that caused the compressor to go off on the overheat internal overload then the fan not running could have caused the compressor not to run.

Make sure the compressor is completely cool to the touch and start the unit again. If the fan will run but not the compressor then you might get lucky and replace the combo capacitor which could be the problem with the fan and the compressor. Get the exact MFD replacement which will probably be dual rated unless the fan motor capacitor has been replaced before. One side and the common terminal will be for the fan motor and the other side and common will be for the compressor.

This is something you can do and if it works great if not then it may be time to call in a pro for a on site inspection. Do not forget to turn the power off first before servicing the unit or you might get the shock of your life knocked out of you if you know what I mean.
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:59 PM

Hvac1000 gave you very good advice.

If this does not work let him know, because there is one other thing you can try and that is a hard start kit for you compresor.
    digital_dilemma Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 05:05 PM
    Well, I opened it up and sure enough the capacitor looked like a coke can that had been left out in 105 degree heat all day. I grabbed a capacitor at W.W. Grainger and was back up in no time. Was concerned for a few minutes because it didn't start right up, but apparently there was a time delay on the thermostat when I turned it back on. Everything seems fine. Thanks for the advice, gentlemen,
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
    No problem glad to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Start capacitor/ run capacitor info [ 3 Answers ]

OK I think I have narrowed my problem down to either a run capacitor or my start capacitor My fan on top of my unit runs but the compressor will hum for about 3-5 seconds every 5 minutes or so . Is it possible for my duel run capacitor to let the fan run but not let the compressor run, or is...

Dual run capacitor(3 terminals).or is single run capacitor(2 terminals) OK? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an older Amana HVAC system in my home. Home is 6yrs old. It Appears that my condenser unit was struck by lightning because one of the 3 terminals on the dual run capacitor was blown/melted and all the wires connected to the dual run capacitor were fried (It did storm the...

Wiring issue from fan motor to capacitor [ 3 Answers ]

I am changing out the condenser fan motor on my Carrier Comfort series ac unit. I had a GE 1/4hp motor with three wires and I went to Grainger and got a universal replacement for it. However this motor has four wires of different color. So my original motor had Yellow (common) and Black (line) from...

Capacitor recommendation for a Patton air circulator [ 11 Answers ]

Hello -- I have a Patton air circulator: Model 1010MP Style SH-74SP-R 120V 60 Hz 350W 3.8 Amps. This is a pedestal fan with about about a 30" blade diameter. It was probably manufactured in the 1970's, but still runs fine. The problem is to get it to run. About 10 years ago, the motor began...

View more questions Search