Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uopayroll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 05:45 PM
    GFI plug will not reset and no electricity to the entire circuit
    Was working on a deck outside when the saw stopped working. The plug outside it was plugged into is a GFI plug. In the basement now, the lights that were on the same circuit no longer work either. This circuit has two GFI plugs and neither can be "tested" or "reset". Also the circuit breaker never tripped.

That is the background, now the question. Is it likely the GFI plug outside is "fried" and I have to replace it, or will I have to go buy one of those current detectors and trace the whole circuit to find where something may have broke? If it is the GFI, what telltale signs would indicate the pluf itself if no more good?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    Also the circuit breaker never tripped.
    Reset the breaker anyway. Not the GFI's
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 05:03 AM

The new GFI's won't reset without power, I'm with HK, I think it is a breaker that didn't throw the handle. Run Finger down both rows of breakers with slight pressure towards off may reveal the tripped breaker without having to remove panel cover to test.
    uopayroll Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2009, 07:00 AM

Thank-you gentlemen for the responses. We had switch on and off the breakers quickly and no change. I will give it another try tonight when I get home.

The GFI right after the panel will not reset and the one outside will not so what you say makes sense. Maybe the circuit breaker itself is damaged?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2009, 11:14 AM

I would check power out of breakers.
    Any GFI that will not reset is due to no power present, or a fault on the load side of GFI(99%of the time).
    Remove load side and test again.
    If you have voltage to line side and nothing on load side and it won't reset, it is defective.
    Since both won't reset and are on the same circuit, points torwards a breaker, or broke connection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AC Inside Blower Stops, Condenser runs continuously Until Entire Unit shut off & Reset [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Trane compressor outside. The unit comes on and the interior blower comes on for a few hours and then stops blowing. I tried to turn on the fan via the thrmostat and it does not work when it shuts down but otherwise works fine so its not a wiring problem. The outside unit continues to...

Electricity circuit low power [ 3 Answers ]

I have a refrigerator that goes on and off for a few hours at a time. The repairman said the fridge is OK. The electric circuit is the problem. When it does not work, the electricity current is so low the fridge won't work. I put a wire/light tester in the socket and it is half bright. It does...

My entire apt is on 1 15 amp circuit [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new here and have no idea what is going on but if someone could help me please!! I just moved into an old old old apt building that I love. As I was vacuuming, I blew the circuit. I suddenly realized my entire apt was on the same circuit. It is a one bedroom place, running on a 15amp...

View more questions Search