Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 11:26 AM
    Regional specialties.
    My wife is in Moscow (flight attendant) and I was wanting to cook something special for the boys (4&7). So we went down to the local fruit stand and got some fresh peaches. They were grown about 15 miles from here, and are in season right now. As I was making peach cobbler, I was wondering what regional specialties that our members have to offer. I would love to here about, and most importantly get some recipes of, some of them. I have loads of them. Oh yea, here is my cobbler recipe:

Easy cobbler

1 cup SR flour
    1 cup milk
    1 cup sugar
    1 tblsp vanilla extract
    3 cups fruit chopped/sliced
    1 stick of butter

Heat oven to 350 deg. Melt stick of butter in rectangle baking dish, add fruit. In bowl, mix other ingredients, add to dish, don't stir just pour in. Bake for 35-45 min.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 01:32 PM

I love peach cobbler

Polish recipes

I love pierogies
    Perogie Recipes - How to Make Authentic Homemade Pierogies - Pittsburgh Pierogies

golomkis (stuffed cabbage)

1 pound ground beef 1/2 cup rice
    1/4 cup onion diced
    2 eggs
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Italian Seasoning
    1 large can tomato sauce
    1 can tomato paste
    1 medium head cabbage

Directions:

Put cabbage in large pot of water and simmer removing core to make it easy to take off each leaf of cabbage. Boil rice. Sauté the diced onions. In large mixing bowl mix the ground meat, rice, onion, eggs, salt and pepper. Mix well and fill each cabbage leaf with mixture; fold leaf to enclose mixture. Mix the tomato sauce and tomato sauce with the Italian seasonings; pour over top. Bake in 350degrees oven, covered, or on top of the stove.

Pittsburgh recipes

Frank Blandi's Original Devonshire Sandwich
    LeMont Restaurant Mt Washington Pitts. Pa.

•Cream Sauce
    •3/4 stick butter, melted
    •1 cup all-purpose flour
    •1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated
    •1 pint chicken broth
    •1 pint hot milk
    •1 teaspoon salt
    Melt butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and then hot milk, stirring all the while. Add cheese and salt. Bring to boil, then cook slowly for 20 minutes, still stirring. Cool to lukewarm. Beat with wire whip until smooth before using.

This makes enough sauce for 6 Devonshire sandwiches.

For each sandwich

•1 slice toast, crusts trimmed off
    •3 slices crisp bacon
    • cooked turkey breast
    •Cream Sauce, recipe above
    •Melted butter
    •Parmesan cheese and paprika
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

In each flat, individual ovenproof casserole dish, place 1 slice of toast and top with 3 slices bacon. Add slices of cooked turkey breast. Cover completely with cream sauce. Sprinkle with a little melted butter, then with the combined Parmesan cheese and paprika.

Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Primanti Brothers sandwich

Original location the Strip district Pitts. Pa

The Primanti Brothers opened their restaurant in Pittsburgh in the 1920s. Their idea was to create an eating place that was simple but offered tasty food. It is no wonder that the Primanti Sandwich was the result — it's a whole meal in each bite. Ham, french fries, tomato, provolone cheese, and coleslaw are stuffed between two slices of Italian bread and served on wax paper. You can't get it any simpler than that.
    SERVES 1

Ingredients
    2 slices Italian bread
    5-6 slices ham, thin
    2 slices provolone cheese
    1/4 cup coleslaw
    2 slices tomatoes
    1 cup French fries, still warm
    Mayonnaise
    Directions
    1 Spread mayonnaise on bread.
    2 Layer the above ingredients.
    3 Serve on wax paper for authenticity.

STEELER salsa

Ingredients:

2 Yellow Bell Peppers - diced with seeds removed
    1 Large Sweet or Vidalia Onion - peeled and diced
    4 Yellow Banana Peppers – chopped fine
    1/2 bunch fresh Cilantro – chopped fine
    1 pint ripe Yellow Grape Tomatoes - purée
    6 oz. Mango - peeled and then puréed
    2 large cloves Garlic - peeled and puréed
    3/4 cup White Wine Vinegar
    1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1/4 cup white sugar
    Pinch of salt (optional)

Preparation:

Remove the core and seeds from the yellow bell peppers, dice them and then put them in cooking pot (a 4 quart sized one works perfect). Peel and dice the onion and add it to the pot. Remove the stems from the banana peppers and finely chop them, as well as, the leaves from the fresh cilantro. Add them to the pot. Purée the yellow tomatoes and then add them to the pot. Purée the mango and the garlic (I simply used a garlic press and added the contents into the food processor with the mango and then puréed them together.) Add the vinegar, lime juice and white pepper to the pot with the other ingredients and then boil the mixture for 20 minutes over medium high heat. Add the sugar and salt, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. Cool and serve with blue corn chips. This delicious dip yields approximately 2 quarts of some of the best yellow salsa ever.
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 06:30 PM

Ha ha, thanks NOhelp but I am only a connoisseur in the sense that I am an indulger hon, I know nothing about cooking or baking. But can recommend some terrific restaurants.

However, I do love sauerkraut, mashed potatoes and pork, apple dumplings in a bowl with warm milk over them, country fried steak with white gravy, a good beef hot dog with diced onions and ketchup, a great grilled fillet minion and little red potatoes.

I hope that I haven't destroyed your good faith in me. :):):eek: :o:o
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 07:51 PM

And I am sure that I will be on time for dinner Nohelp. I'll meet youns down yonder after we rid up the house.....

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Turn my dvd into a multi-regional player [ 1 Answers ]

Please help I bought a Matsui MATDVD330 DVD and it clearly states on the Curry's website that it's a region 2 but multi-reginal can be enabled. I've tried many things but I can't seem to be able to change it. Is there any special codes or set ups that I need because I haven't a clue.. If...

Salary for a REgional VP of Real Estate Company [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew what the annual salary might be for a Regional Vice President in the Real Estate Industry? Salary, benefits, retirement, bonuses? Thanks!

Regional Settings for DVD... [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys, my friend encountered a problem few days back while she moved from Malaysia to australia. When she wanted to play any DVD movie, she had to go through the regional settings one more time. When it was set as Malaysia, the DVD could not be played. Anyway, she changed the settings and...

View more questions Search