Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sansha2118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 11:19 AM
    He won't talk
    My son is 2 1/2 years old and I'm having trouble getting him to talk. He is trying to. You can understand what he is trying to say but the words aren't coming out clear. Its mostly still baby babble. You can tell theat he understands what you say to him. He says very few words clearly. I am at a loss of what to do. Its plain that he wants to talk and he seems to get frustrated when you can't understand him. Anybody have any advice?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 11:25 AM

Hi sansha, at 2 l/2 he should be starting and if you say he is trying and can vocalize then he is getting there and you are just as frustrated as he and maybe be transferring this to him.

My advice is let him play more with other children his age and that may give him a boost in the right direction. Another bit of advice is, have his hearing checked although you say he understands what you say to him, could be reading lips.

Tick
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:41 PM

I would have his hearing checked, and make sure he doesn't need ear tubes. I've known of two children who needed ear tubes at this age, and had terrible chronic ear infections that had not been detected because they did not complain in any way or seem sick. They were used to it, so acted normally when they were not well.

If that's not an issue, I'd just give the child more time and be interactive with words with the child - not pressure to perform, but fun things like Sesame Street and Barney, and children's songs, and reading books to him and the like. He will talk when he's ready.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Best Friend won't Talk To Me [ 5 Answers ]

My Best Friend of 5yrs won't talk to me now and hasn't done so for a month or so. You see I annoyed her by sending her a few (2) snotty texts because she never answers my calls or responds to my texts anymore. When I asked her to call into my house one day on her way home from somewhere she didn't...

Kid who won't talk for himself but will copy how other people talk [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I saw this movie years ago, on HBO, I never caught the name of the movie, and then the power went out, I never saw it again.. The movie was about this boy who was wouldn't talk or he couldn't talk. He could however copy peoples voices, and talk like them, exactley like them.. does anyone...

My boyfriend won't talk to me [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for a year and a half and he won't talk to me about our relationship, his feelings etc. We haven't had sex in over 6months and I've tried to talk to him and he just clams up I don't know what to do. I'm always doing the running around going to his house doing...

View more questions Search