Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shenoa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Making furniture look antique/weathered
    How do I make my furniture look antique or giving it a weathered cracked look?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 9, 2009, 10:57 AM

A few wacks with a hammer, (to distress it), a good sanding with very rough sandpaper, a watered down coat of paint and then sand again. Your piece of furniture will then look appropriately antique.

I usually like watered down white latex paint, sometimes with a blue latex, and then a coat of watered down white. This usually gives it an ocean- cottage- distressed- over- the years- look quite well.

Of course, all depending on how big the piece is. I am talking about a dresser, three drawer that can be used anywhere in the house. Or, headboards.

Tick

Tick
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Aug 11, 2009, 06:28 PM

Look at the Deco Art web site they sell crackle mediums ans you can see how they work. It's easy just follow instructions
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 11:31 PM
    Hi, shenoa!

It would be helpful to have more specifics as to the kind of furniture that you're wanting to antique in order to help you the best here. For instances: Are you talking about painted furniture, or, unfinished or clear-finished in some way?

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I make my old furniture look like an antique by only using paint? [ 4 Answers ]

I have old furniture, and I want to make them look nice and antique like by painting them, I just don't know how to paint them or what colors to use! Do you know?:o

Does veneer make furniture antique? [ 8 Answers ]

If I have a bed that has veneer on it, does that mean it is an antique? I was told that they used veneer back before plywood was made and that the bed I have is really old and I just wanted to find out if it is an antique or not. Thanks!

Dog chewing leather furniture, is there a product to apply on furniture? [ 5 Answers ]

My 12 week lab puppy loves to chew on our leather furnitre. We have many toys and try to detur him from biting with introducing a toy when he bites the leather furniture and also tried frozen wash cloths. We use a firm NO! But almost seems to get more playful and thinks it's a game. Can I use...

Repairing weathered fascia [ 1 Answers ]

When I re-roofed my home about 4 years ago I neglected to replace some fascia that had been damaged by the hot AZ sun. I have filled some of the cracks with painters caulk, and others with spackling compound. Prior to applying those materials I cleaned the surfaces with a belt sander and a wire...

Making furniture look old [ 3 Answers ]

I want to paint my bedroom furniture white and make it looked aged but I bought stuff at wal-mart to make it look crackled and I made a mess. What can I do to achieve an aged look on my furniture?

View more questions Search