Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sim0nz12345 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2009, 06:56 AM
    Calculating Mean
    Hi there,
    I am trying to find out the mean height in this case but there are no displayed data from the sample here. It simplies says:

The same mean height for a class of 30 students was 170 cm. The 20 male students in the class have a mean height of 180 cm. What is the mean height of female students in the class?

How would I work this out in a mathematical equation without trial and error.
    Thank you
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:03 AM

Mean is the same thing as ratio.

The mean height of 30 students = 170 cm.

You therefore have a series of height, when added together giving a certain value, and when divided by 30 gives 170.

Let the total height os the students be x, that of boys be y, that of girls be z and the mean height for girls be m.

Therefore, the mean here is given by

The mean for boys is

The mean for boys is

To have the total of all the students heights is x. Subtract the total height for boys, y, from that to obtain the total heights for girls, z. Divide that value by 10 to have m, the mean height for girls
    sim0nz12345 Posts: 77, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2009, 07:19 AM

Thank you very much. Much appreciated
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 07:22 AM

You're welcomed! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating [H3O+] and [OH-] [ 1 Answers ]

At normal body temperature, 37 degrees Celsius, the value of Kw for water is 2.5 x 10^-14. Calculate and at this temperature. Is pure water at 37 degrees Celsius acidic, neutral or basic? I was told that this was a complicated ques. Since they only give you Kw (2.5 x 10^-14) But the answer in...

Calculating NPV [ 2 Answers ]

How do I calculate the net present value. Problem: Lump Sum Payment of $500,000 Needs to be grossed up 35% for taxes Paid out over 5 years @ annual interest rate of 4% What would the monthly payout amount be over 60 months?

Calculating NPV [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am new to this site and hope that there is someone out there who can help me. I have to calcualte NPV for a project that has no specific inflows and I don't know where to start, any help will be appreciated. Regards Sian:

View more questions Search