Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1clockwork Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2009, 07:34 AM
    How do I evict a partner after being served with a protection order
    How do I evict a partner after being served with a protection order,note we are -"married."
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2009, 08:12 AM
    Why do you put "married" in quotes? Are you in an area that recognizes common-law marriages and do you qualify? Either way, if a protection order has been issued against your spouse/partner, then that would include him/her vacating your residence. Was the judge who issued the order aware that you were domiciled together? If (s)he refuses to leave then you'll have to return to court and ask the judge to enforce the order, including him/her moving out along with all of its other provisions.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 08:50 AM

Well once there is a order of protection one person can not come back into the home if the other is there, So if you are still living in YOUR home, they can't come in.

But

Who owns the house, if both names on deed, you can't evict

Do you rent, if so who is listed on the lease, if both you still can't evict

Aug 9, 2009, 01:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci View Post
    Why do you put "married" in quotes? Are you in an area that recognizes common-law marriages and do you qualify? Either way, if a protection order has been issued against your spouse/partner, then that would include him/her vacating your residence. Was the judge who issued the order aware that you were domiciled together? If (s)he refuses to leave then you'll have to return to court and ask the judge to enforce the order, including him/her moving out along with all of its other provisions.
    There was an error in my question. I am not married to the female and the property is in my name. She does not pay rent or utililies. She has placed a protecttion order against and has file charges of assault as well. How do I retain the property while avoiding violations. The bills are in my name as well.

Aug 9, 2009, 01:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Well once there is a order of protection one person can not come back into the home if the other is there, So if you are still living in YOUR home, they can't come in.

But

who owns the house, if both names on deed, you can't evict

do you rent, if so who is listed on the lease, if both you still can't evict
    I own the property , the property is only in my name, and all utilities are in my name. I purchased the property more than 6 years prior to meeting her and have only know her for two years.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:26 PM

You just do not allow her back in the house.
    Its your house and she got the PFA against you so she has no more saying in being in the house. Have the papers handy so that if she does cause trouble and involve the police you can say here's my evidence and SHE CAME knocking on my door.

Protection from abuse means she can not contact you either or what's the sense in having an abuse order.

If you have stuff of hers in the house you can suggest a friend pick it up or she bring the police to collect her stuff.
    You have no further reason to be bothered with her or her with you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 9, 2009, 04:56 PM

The problem with NoHelp's advice is that, as I understand it, she is now in the house and you are barred from approaching her. So you have two choices, you can retain an attorney to fight the PFA and file your own restraining order against her or you can get an attorney and start the eviction process.
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2009, 04:59 PM

So even though his name is the one on the lease and she has a PFA he has to go through eviction?

He may have to cover a lot of bases then

Aug 11, 2009, 07:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    The problem with NoHelp's advice is that, as I understand it, she is now in the house and you are barred from approaching her. So you have two choices, you can retain an attorney to fight the PFA and file your own restraining order against her or you can get an attorney and start the eviction process.
    If I file a restrianing order against her will she be evicted from the property?
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 07:59 PM

So you don't have an order yet?
    And you are both still living there?
    With a restraining order she would not be allowed back on the property and you can file for the eviction.

Aug 11, 2009, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1clockwork View Post
    if i file a restrianing order against her will she be evicted from the property?
    Also can I cut off the utilities having a protection order against me with out violating it
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:09 PM

If you are having her evicted why do you need to cut of the utilities?

I am confused
    You don't have a restraining order yet?

Are you and her both living there or just her?
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2009, 08:13 PM

Oh
    She has a restraining order on you and she is living in your house.
    You need to do an eviction order
    What state do you live in?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 12, 2009, 05:21 AM

I'm curious about what happened at the hearing where the order was issued. Did you explain to the judge that she is living in your house and that the order prevents you from entering your property?

But the choices I outlined remain the same. You have to get her out of the house. So you have to get an order against her and have the judge who issues it order that she vacate. Or you have to go through the eviction process. And no, you cannot shut off the utilities.

Have you consulted an attorney yet?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2009, 11:11 AM

I know that here in Ohio a man met a woman and she moved in with him. They didn't get married. He owned the home. She contributed nothing. He left as she was impossible to get along with. She got a Protective Order against him. He could not go back to his own home and had to live elsewhere. Bottom line. He sued her to vacate the house. She countersued. The case went to trial (yes, trial). She drug her feet for 2 years while living in his home rent free until the Judge ruled against her at a Judge trial. It took this poor man 2 years and a huge attorney bill to get rid of her and to make matters worse, this woman acted as her own attorney to boot having little or no legal experience! In the end the man did get his home back.

Don't know what to tell you to do except maybe hire an attorney and go back before the Judge who originally issued the Protective Order and see if he can't get her to leave the premises.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

FL Tenant here & been served evict notice - how long until I'm forced to vacate? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I live in Clearwater, Florida, and have a few questions about eviction laws/processes. I've been served eviction papers and now have 5 business days to write a reason letter, get the full amount owed & pay my apartment complex. I know this is my fault, and I want nothing more than...

Order of Protection [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for whomever knows about orders of protection on this forum. I posted awhile back that a neighbor of mine was beaten up by another neighbor. Since the original beating, this person has violated the order of protection 4 times and has been arrested 4 times. Tomorrow, she...

Order of protection [ 1 Answers ]

I have an order of protection against me from a former girlfriend. The reason was because of several phone calls and emails from me to her. I was trying to get over $12,000 worth of furniture that was mine, back from her. The judge awarded me my furniture back but extended the op, again there was...

Order of protection [ 4 Answers ]

I have been served an order of protection in Illinois, I will appear in court for this, but what can happen to me.This was an affair, me being the single one, I believe this is her attempt to hide much of our relationship from her spouse and lie about true things that happened between us. Their was...

View more questions Search