Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leighnaras Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 10:45 PM
    Can't Gaining Weight
    Before I say anything please do not come in here telling me that I should be grateful that I am not obese. I understand that. But being underweight is as much an issue as being overweight. With that said...

I am 20 yrs old, 5 feet 8 inches, and.. here is the kicker... only 94 lbs. You can see pretty much every bone in my body. Multiple doctors have run all kinds of test but nothing comes up. No matter what I eat I cannot gain weight. I've been tested twice for a hyperthyroid.. nope it was normal. I was checked for Celiac Disease.. nope not that... I had a biopsy done on my stomach... stool test... all kinds of blood test.. all have come back normal.

Now some people say "enjoy it because it will catch up with you later". I find this hard to believe. My mom is 40 and weighs 120lbs.. my grandmother was 65 and 125lbs (she died of breast cancer Dec 06).

Now I wouldn't mind being tiny so much... I can deal with clothes not fitting because it's been that way my entire life.. but what worries me is that I have a very weak immune system due to my low weight. My internal body temperature is at 99.4 constantly (normal is around 98.6) therefore I always have a lowgrade fever. If I get even the smallest cold, no matter how much medicine I take, it sticks around for 2 weeks.. sometimes longer.

I really need to gain weight just enough to become healthy. I'm tired of constantly breaking bones/tearing ligaments/fracturing bones with the slightest thing (I broke my big toe when I dropped a mattress on it.. yes a mattress).

Please can someone help me! Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Aug 7, 2009, 10:54 PM
    Can't Gain weight
    Before I say anything please do not come in here telling me that I should be grateful that I am not obese. I understand that. But being underweight is as much an issue as being overweight. With that said...

I am 20 yrs old, 5 feet 8 inches, and.. here is the kicker... only 94 lbs. You can see pretty much every bone in my body. Multiple doctors have run all kinds of test but nothing comes up. No matter what I eat I cannot gain weight. I've been tested twice for a hyperthyroid.. nope it was normal. I was checked for Celiac Disease.. nope not that... I had a biopsy done on my stomach... stool test... all kinds of blood test.. all have come back normal.

Now some people say "enjoy it because it will catch up with you later". I find this hard to believe. My mom is 40 and weighs 120lbs.. my grandmother was 65 and 125lbs (she died of breast cancer Dec 06).

Now I wouldn't mind being tiny so much... I can deal with clothes not fitting because it's been that way my entire life.. but what worries me is that I have a very weak immune system due to my low weight. My internal body temperature is at 99.4 constantly (normal is around 98.6) therefore I always have a lowgrade fever. If I get even the smallest cold, no matter how much medicine I take, it sticks around for 2 weeks.. sometimes longer.

I really need to gain weight just enough to become healthy. I'm tired of constantly breaking bones/tearing ligaments/fracturing bones with the slightest thing (I broke my big toe when I dropped a mattress on it.. yes a mattress).

Please can someone help me! Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Aug 8, 2009, 11:13 AM
    You may have chronic fatigue syndrome. You ought to talk to your doc about that.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 03:12 PM

Do you work out? Muscle weighs more than fat, so working out will help you gain some weight.

Aug 8, 2009, 04:45 PM
    My doctor can't come up with anything. She has absolutely no idea what it could be.

Aug 8, 2009, 04:46 PM
    No I don't work out... I'm always scared of getting myself hurt or lowering my immune system even more and getting extremely sick.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 04:55 PM
    <threads merged>
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 8, 2009, 05:00 PM

Working out will make you healthier.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Aug 9, 2009, 06:47 AM
    Now I maintain it's possibly rheumatic arthritis. You should ask your doctor, see if both chronic fatigue syndome and Rheumatoid Arthritis arhtiritis are ruled out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why am I gaining weight? [ 5 Answers ]

About a month ago I decided I need to lose weight, I have started walking 30min a day 5x a week, stopped eating fast food, junk food and drinking soda. I eat breakfast now rather than skip it I sip on water all day about 6-8 glasses and I have been eating pretty healthy food (lots of fruits and...

Gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Well I am a bodybuilder and my goal is to reach 70 killos (I am 63 killos) I am well cute and lean, I am happy with my body, but I just need to get these extra 7 killos in order to get the shape that I want, but the problem is that I just can't gain weight, I eat day and night and I never gain a...

Weight gaining [ 2 Answers ]

I am skinny.I am vegetarian.I am just 28Kgs&150cms.I want to gain 7kilograms in two months&some biceps also.please give a useful tip.:(

Why am I not gaining weight [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have been lifting weights for about two month now eating good healthy food, and taking protein shakes at least three times a day. The problem is I am not gaining weight I am in fact losing weight. Why? I am lifting three days a week for at least an hour a day if not longer, but I am not...

View more questions Search