Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    7up Posts: 180, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 02:17 AM
    Rounded Hex Bolt
    I have a 2002 toyota corolla and I'm replacing the head gasket and the cylinder head bolts call for a hex bit,and now two of the head bolts are rounded out and there's noway of getting a socket that removes rounded bolts on it so I'm stuck.so if anyone can give me any tips on how to remove these two rounded out hex head torqued down head bolts help

Thank you
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 07:08 AM

I know what you did wrong:

You probably used a 12 point socket instead of a 6 point socket.

I'm not sure what kind of clearances you have to work with.

There is a socket available which has a bunch of what I would call pins. They can sometimes remove a stubborn bolt.

Some ideas:

GRIP-TITE Super Socket Set for removing rounded off nuts and bolts! By Better Tools & Fasteners

How to Remove a Bolt With a Rounded Head | eHow.com

How to remove rounded nut or bolt heads.

Honda JDM CBR Forums - remove rounded bolt?

Removing Rounded Bolts - Just Commodores
    muskyfins Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Aug 7, 2009, 07:45 AM
    Those sockets with the pins don't work very well for automotive applications. I have ruined several of them.

What you described requires a hex "bit" right? Like an Allen head? I would use the next larger "Torx" bit and hammer it into the socket on the bolt. Then you need to heat up the bolt with a torch until it glows. If you don't have access to acytlene, this will take some time with propane.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 08:08 AM

A small MAPP torch is easy to come by at Home Depot for about, $80 I guess. Good idea.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 02:22 PM

Ok guys. Here's the deal. We at the Toyota shop recently went through the same deal on a '02 Camry.
    The metal in these bolts are soft so they strip out easy. We tried every tool and idea we could come up with.
    Finally, we just said screw it and I grabbed my best cobalt drill bit set, found the closest size to the rounded out hex, and went to drilling the bolt out.
    Like I said, the metal is soft on these because they're stretch bolts.
    To my surprise, it drilled out like butter. The head popped loose, and we just ordered new bolts. The rest came out by hand once the head was off.
    Good luck and try it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing a Chair Rail with rounded corners? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new house and in case you don't know most new homes now have rounded corners. And I'm installing a chair rail in one room that has them. The chair rail I bought doesn't have the pre-made rounded corners that can be bought at Home Depot or Lowe's. So my question is how do I have a chair...

I am well-rounded, now what career do I choose? [ 2 Answers ]

All right, here are the facts: 1. I get great grades in every subject in school 2. I love everything from art to math to science to history 3. I am willing to go to school as long as I need to 4. I am hardworking and determined 5. I am great with people 6. I am in great shape 7. I want to...

Johhni bolt [ 2 Answers ]

What is a Johhni bolt, how much does it usuallly cost, where is it used installing a tiolet?

View more questions Search