Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holtjv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 02:00 PM
    GFCI Trips with newly spliced fountain pump
    I am nearly exasperated trying to splice in a new fountain pump. Here's what I did:

1. bought a new pump (190gpm), cut the cord near its plug
    2. threaded the power cord through the bottom of the fountain "tub"
    3. spliced it to the power cord which runs under the rock patio to the gfci outlet. The splice resides under the tub in the base, so it's not submerged
    4. Here's how I did the splice: I twisted the appropriate wires together, soldered them, then taped with electrical tape. Then I painted each with scotchkote for waterproofing. After about 15 minutes (the scotchkote wasn't completely dry) I wrapped the bundle of 3 wires together with electrical tape and scotchkoted the bundle.
    5. as soon as I plug it in, it trips

Now, the pump with the current 'downstream' cord to the gfci worked before--in fact, the last time I tried to splice in the pump with the splice submerged, it worked for about 5 hours before it tripped. The things I did different this time: 1) wrapped the bundle in tape and scotchkoted and 2) the splice is not submerged.

Any ideas? Many thanks, I'm about ready to call in a pro--by the way, I know NOTHING about electricity, grounds, etc. Jack
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 02:29 PM
    Everytning you did sounds great, as long at each splice is black ,white, and green, and nothing is crossed.. Is is possible the FI is defective? Can you try another one?

Is is possible the pump is defective also. You may need to call in a pro to do some troubleshooting with a multi-meter.
    holtjv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Everytning you did sounds great, as long at each splice is black ,white, and green, and nothing is crossed.. Is is possible the FI is defective? Can you try another one?

Is is possible the pump is defective also. You may need to call in a pro to do some troubleshooting with a multi-meter.

Thank, TK. I tried plugging it in in a different gfci outlet and it tripped that one, too. I've also plugged other appliances into the same outlet and it works fine. The pump is brand new but I guess could be defective.

I just cut and re-spliced--same thing happened. Thanks anyway... if you think of anything I could be missing let me know--Jack
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 03:10 PM
    OK seems you narrowed it down to the motor, or a leak in the motor or cord.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2006, 09:10 AM
    You should check the cord. Cut the last 1' off and reterminate a waterproof plug. Wrap the whole plug assembly in rubberized electrical tape. Make sure no moisture gets into the connections.

Field splices are the source of 90% of electrical problems!
    doug2011 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2011, 12:13 PM
    GFCIs kick when there is an imbalance between the current flowing from the hotside to what is flowing in the return back to the circuit box. There is a current leak to ground somewhere, i.e. to the case of the pump or somewhere else. Try isolating the pump from everything and see if the GFCI still kicks. If so the pump has an internal leak to ground. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Newly married [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got married and my new husband knows about me contenplating filing for bankruptcy. My question is how will my filing bankruptcy going to effect his credit. I live in the state of Illinois so I need to know about Illinois law in this matter

Selling a newly acquired business [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a business aprox 6 months ago and it was not a good decision. There is no way to boost sales and the equipment is old and falling apart. This was purchased as per my father's encouragement and he signed as a guarantor. Now I want to sell and get out of this mess. I financed through...

Newly Built Computer Problems [ 9 Answers ]

Me and My Friend are building a computer for my girlfriend and when we put all the pieces together and started it up everything worked(Fans, HD Booted, Floppy, CD DVD Roms,LEDS) The only thing that won't seem to work is the monitor. We first Tried plugging it into the video card that we put in then...

GFCI on breaker panel trips, 3 way, how to find the problem? [ 1 Answers ]

Periodically one GFCI in the panel trips This particular circuit runs an outside outlet, one light in the basement and it seems to work 2 switches and a plug in the family room The problem with the 2 switches in the family room at opposite ends are suppose to turn the plug off and on as a 3...

View more questions Search