Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Textile designer?
    How do you become one? Can a talented artist who's never gone to design school become one realistically?
    TIA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 22, 2006, 03:36 PM
    I seldom discuss this part of my life, but first lets get our terms correct.

Do you wish to design textiles, or do you want to be a fashion designer.

Texitles is the actual coth and the people who work with it, does the designs that are on the fabic.

Then if you want to be a fashion designer what type of fashion do you want to do. Hats, gloves, mens shirts, ladies bras, ladies dresses, ladies night gowns.

And of course normally you will get a few wild cat designers who will get some design bought and become famous, but most work behind the scenes for large manufactors, and/or people like the Olsen twins to design things that their name goes on.

Also of course you then have the people who work for lower market companies that take designs of others and finds ways to manufactor them low cost.

There are even people who work for military contractors that help with design improvements of military uniforms.

So normally you will start either by trying to market your own line on the internet or some local market or try to get a job at some manufactor or work for some designer doing prototypes.

Also if you are into fashion design, you will have to be good at sewing so you can also actually make what you draw.

And it is a very hard business, cut throat full of theft of ideas and the such. And there are pay offs, and bribes and so much more.

I cam up with this silly cap one time, each of the standard 8 panels made up of varoius other pannels and all with assorted colors. Who would know, it sold big to a MTV producer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sofa Designer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm looking for a sofa designer, I was surfing over the net and I have found one in Belgium, a bit to far for me This is the one in Belgium http://www.mrcreations.be/creaties.php, these are the sofas I really like, so is there someone who knows where I can get unique furniture please let...

View more questions Search