Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 08:18 PM

You know I just happened to remember one thing about Canada. There is a gun ban in Canada and normal citizens are not allowed to own handguns period.

Please explain to me just HOW did her parents even get a gun in the first place? Did they have this weapon illegally or is one parent in law enforcement? Either way, the parents are in big trouble as well having a gun readily available for their daughter to bring to school to terrorize the bullies. It seems that the entire family is in big trouble.

Canadian citizens are not supposed to be gun owners. They are supposed to be gun less.

Please enlighten us here at AMHD how this gun magically appeared in the 15 year old's household??

As far as I know Canada has even banned wooden nunchucks (two wooden sticks connected with a cord) used in martial arts. You can be arrested at the border if you have them in your car. They can deem you a weapons trafficker!

The more I think about this, the more I am leaning towards the parents and the 15 year old child all sitting in jail.
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    You know I just happened to remember one thing about Canada. There is a gun ban in Canada and normal citizens are not allowed to own handguns period.
    You learn something new everyday wow gun ban didn't know that.
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 09:06 PM

Gun politics in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is a rather interesting article about Canadian gun laws in Wikipedia. It does reiterate how the government will allow you to own a handgun, but you must meet certain criteria and you must have a license to purchase and own the gun and have a license to transport the weapon as well. And the Wiki article does state that gun licenses are not generally available for handguns.

Aug 6, 2009, 09:14 PM

Great article twink!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 09:26 PM

I'd also like to ask..

When did this happen?

School is out till September or late August in Quebec...

If this happened before school ended she would've already at least had a trial...

I'm also sure she would've been in jail right now, Quebec isn't Texas- they're not used to guns. Besides Quebequers would be calling the police ASAP... they just love that 3 digit number..

Just sayin'...

Sarah
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 06:20 AM

Folks, I think we've been - at best - trolled!
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101 View Post
    Judy you are correct and I guess my point was at 15 she should have known better and her parents were negligent in not teaching her. Im not sure a fine would make a difference at this point but I guess it would be better than nothing. Great advice as usual. AC

Out of greenies so here's a pretend greenie - it's so good to be able to have a minor disagreement, understand each other and move on.

I certainly see your point of view and it is obvious that you can see mine.

Good interplay here!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Folks, I think we've been - at best - trolled!
    I have to agree.(I have to spread the rep around before I can give you a greenie).. I may not know Canadian law at all... but here in the USA that's a VERY serious offense. No insanity pleas there... we have zero tollerance rules and its usually permanent expulsion from the school system in addition to any criminal and/or civil punishments that the court may hand out.

The penalty for being a troll however is public humiliation and having laughing townfolk throw feces at you, as you are bound in the stocks in the town square for a period.

Aug 7, 2009, 11:16 AM

Yep judy I believe your right besides how boring would life be if we all agreed on everything. :D oh and well said smoothy
    kathyrules123 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LovesTheSun13 View Post
    My niece is 15 years old and she got extremely angry at some students at her school, they were picking on herm sending her messages, spreading rumors, and she has many stress and trust issues already. It was too much for her to take and she decided to sneak her parent's gun to school and she pointed it at one of the people who were making her life so much harder than it needed to be. She did not hurt them she honestly just wanted to scare them! Can anybody tell me what the consequences might be? If she pleads insanity what happens??
    Its okay if she is still doing it u can tell her to stop but that wasn't all a great help so if u need any help u can go to Yahoo and text me at EMAIL REMOVED FOR PRIVACY:)
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kathyrules123 View Post
    its okay if she is still doing it u can tell her to stop but that wasnt all a great help so if u need any help u can go to yahoo and text me at EMAIL REMOVED FOR PRIVACY:)

First, you aren't supposed to ask that a subject be taken off the board.

Second, PLEASE STOP THE TEXT SPEAK - this is a legal board. What is your advice? Tell her to stop is your advice. Stop what? It sounds like the Police have already stopped her.

Did you actually read the question - ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 12:37 PM

I am not a legal expert, but I am a Canadian and because my husband has rifles, I do know a bit about owning a gun in Canada.

My husband has rifles from his father and my father, the amount of paper work and begging involved would blow your mind.

Not only does he have to register each rifle every year, he has to pay a hefty fee in order to keep them. We don't even use them, he only has them because they are old, sentimental etc.

These rifles (under Canadian law) must be locked away in a rifle safe. The bullets have to be locked in a different safe. This is just for a rifle. If, for some reason, the police come to your house and see the rifle out in the open, or the lock box unlocked, well be prepared to be cuffed, taken away and charged to the full extent of the law.

Owning a gun, no way! Unless you're a police officer, no go. You can look at guns, you can shop for guns, but buying a gun, not going to happen.

If the OP isn't a troll, not only is the 15 year old facing time in prison, but her parents are as well, because I doubt the gun is registered and obviously it wasn't kept in a safe box.

Once again, not a legal expert, just a Canadian who happens to know what it takes to own weapons here.
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2009, 04:42 PM

Alty - Thanks for the detailed outline above regarding gun ownership in Canada. I knew it was almost impossible to buy a gun but you spelled it out for us.

I think we've been trolled or the parents had an illegal gun in their home as they were probably criminals who bought it on the black market. Anything can be bought on the black market.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2009, 10:17 PM

I was going to mention the fact that it could not be her gun so she has somebody in serious trouble but I see Alty beat me to it.

She can claim she is insane, she can even get psychiatric help but she has some serious consequences to face here.

I just don't understand in this day and age how people commit crimes when they know you don't say BOMB in an airport, you don't take guns and threaten people, you know security and cameras can be almost anywhere and Big Brother is watching.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Aug 14, 2009, 09:26 AM
    I heard of similar situations in the past. The good news is that the girl is only 15 so even if charged, she will not have serious consequences or a criminal record since no one was hurt and there were mitigating circumstances, (bullying). Having some teachers testifying to the judge that she is a good kid and a victim of bullying would be a major help so try to get statements from teachers who know her and her situation. I'm more worried about her parents, it wasn't said how their firearm was stored, but if it wasn't stored under lock and key with ammunition separate as Altenweg mentioned, they could be charged with improper storage of a firearm which can have serious consequences. I just hope they got a lawyer before making any statements or admissions to the police. Police love to pick on law abiding firearm owners for relatively minor infractions instead of going after real criminals.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2009, 11:51 AM

Being a victim of bullying does not excuse her actions or justify them in anyway. Since when do two wrongs make a right? I hope she faces very serious consequences. There's already been too many school shootings. Too many students have already died for no good reason. What if that gun had been loaded? If she doesn't even have the good sense to NOT bring a gun into school in the first place who knows if she even knew how to check if it was loaded or not? Or how to use it?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2009, 12:22 PM
    In the USA, adult type crimes receive adult type sentances... and rightfully so. A 15 year old knows exactly what they are doing... you can't make that same argument for a 5 year old.

Because she was being bullied is a lame excuse. She should have gone to the school administrators if that was happening and let them deal with it. And alternatively... if she was big enough to bring a gun... then she was big enough to take care of it one on one. Cowards resort to using a gun over petty squabbles.

Its obviously NOT a life or death situation, thus no justification not even by USA standards of self defense which are decidedly different from Canadas.

Under OUR USA laws taking a gun after the event and even threatening to use it makes the crime premeditated. And in most cases voids any self defense claim that otherwise may have been made. And makes any temporary insanity defence far more diffucult to defend.

Personally I think Canadas laws are geared more to protecting the criminal than the victims. But that's immaterial as she screwed up bad the minute she picked up that gun before she even left the house, much less entered the school.

Here we are taught you do not play with a gun, they are not toys... You never point it at someone unless you are prepared to pull the trigger that very moment, and you never threaten to use it unless you are prepared to pull that trigger right then and there.

And above all, you better be damn sure you are in the right before you do, because you will have to answer to authorities if you use it and weren't.

And there are certain cases where you are in the right... You are in your house and you believe the intruder is threatening your physical well being, or you are in a life threatening situation where your life is at risk by an assailent if you don't shoot him or her first. But that last case you better have a right to carry or a license to carry where you are.

Yes I do realise those would NOT apply in Canada at least as I understand it.

Basically they are not toys... treat them like they are and suffer the consequences.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What will happen in Canada if I get in trouble? [ 3 Answers ]

Ok so here is my dillemma. I am turning 19 on Tax day this year, I currently live in the United States. I would like to go to Canada with the purpose to consume alcohol leagely. My mom is worried because I heard that Canada was trying to become more strict about the US kids coming over and...

Sons father wants to give up his parental rights.how does this happen? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused:my sons father wants to give up his parental rights. I have sveral questions do I have to agree for him to give up rights, how do I approach this and if he does will he still have to pay child support?

I have no idea what monetary gift is norm for me to give to my niece for college grad [ 2 Answers ]

I am close to my niece, and I have no idea what is considered"average" for a college graduation monetary gift

What happen if I give my rommate 30 days notice and she doesn't sign it? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hello there I rent a place and my landlord said if you want to get a roommate it 's your choice and you have to deal with it. So I found a roommate and I had month to month lease with her. And now after one year we don't get a long ( long story) I asked her to find another place so I...

My Ringneck is confusing me! Can a experienced person give me insight? [ 2 Answers ]

[email protected] all... I have a male olive coloured indian ringneck. Ive had him for 2 years now and I feel I have tamed him half way but don't make any more progress with him! I take him out often, and play with him etc. He is half tame. When I say that he's half tame, I mean...

View more questions Search