Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    queerkd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 11:37 AM
    What Is Created When
    Benzene, TNT, Picric acid, Nitrocellulose + thermal engergy are combined.

C6H6 + C6H2CH3(NO2)3 +(NO2)3C6H2OH + C12H16(NO3)4O6 + thermal energy --->?? :confused: :eek:
    Chippe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by queerkd
    Benzene, TNT, Picric acid, Nitrocellulose + thermal engergy are combined.

C6H6 + C6H2CH3(NO2)3 +(NO2)3C6H2OH + C12H16(NO3)4O6 + thermal energy ---> ?????? :confused: :eek:
    Nitrates usually decompose into N2 and the oxygen combusts the carbon and hydrogen into CO2 and water but with such an sudden expansion (due to the N2) it's unlikely the combustion will be complete.
    ALarkin Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2006, 07:56 PM
    I think this problem is supposed to make you do some detective work. I thought this was a neat puzzle, so I typed in my 2 cents. I'd say intro organic chemistry, but it seems a little more "application" specific. You're not an al-Qaeda member are you?

Anyway, I'm going to begin by assuming the "thermal energy" is an open flame (like a lit match).

Now, here's what I know about explosives (which isn't a lot):

Low explosives "deflagrate" (burn rapidly, releasing lots of gas at subsonic speeds). The chain reaction in a low order explosion can be triggered and sustained by the heat produced by burning the explosive.

High explosives "detonate" (burn rapidly, releasing lots of gas at supersonic speeds). The chain reaction in a high order explosion can be triggered and sustained by the supersonic shock wave created by a fairly small initial detonation event (like a blasting cap).

Next, some facts about the ingredients which might be useful in unraveling the puzzle:

1) Benzene is a highly flammable liquid, and could be used as a fuel. If you put a lit match to it (in air), it'll burn like gasoline (... and make lots of heat).

2) Nitrocellulose can be either a low or high explosive, depending on conditions. I suspect it was included in the problem as a low explosive.

3) Picric acid is a high explosive, and also a "primary" explosive. Primary explosives are easily detonated by physical shock (like a big change in pressure), friction, heat, etc.

4) TNT is a high explosive, and also a "secondary" explosive. Secondary explosives are not as easily detonated as primary explosives (and so are safer to handle). They do create very powerful explosions once initiated though.

Soooo...

The match lights the benzene, the flame from the benzene causes the nitrocellulose to deflagrate, the picric acid is detonated by the pressure of gas realeased from nitrocellulose, and the detonation of picric acid triggers the detonation of the TNT. And we're all blown to bits.

As far as the exact products go, I think the 1st response was basically correct. Benzene is a simple hydrocarbon so it's combustion products are simple. I think the products formed from the explosives might be a little more complicated. There may not be enough oxygen in the explosives/air to completely convert all the carbon to CO2. You'd get CO2, N2 and water for sure, but there would probably be things like CO, HCN, soot, etc as well(incomplete combustion products).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Subfolders are created 'cause of malicious software... [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Few days back, I used a pen drive which subsequently started to cause problems by making subfolders (duplicate) of original folders. Now, the computer is going to meet its ending day. What should I do now? Any suggestion would really be appreciated.

View more questions Search