Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonniesbasement Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Any info on this antique pin? 1837-1843 French Silver?
    I'm having a hard time finding information about this beautiful brooch - The information provided by the antique dealer (no longer around) is: French Silver, discharge mark Paris 1837-1843 Amythest and marquesite. (is that Amethyst and marcasite?)
    I have spent hours trying to find anything similar, trying to decipher this mark (it's SO tiny) and trying to determine the value with no luck. Does this look familiar to anyone or does anyone have any suggestions and/or reference guides? I certainly appreciate any input. Thanks!
    Bonnie :)
    Attached Images

hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Aug 6, 2009, 09:33 AM

The stones look to be what you were told. It's impossible to know, definitively, from pictures, though. A jeweler should be able to give you a better assessment if you take it in. most will even do so for free.

Do you have a macro setting on your camera? It might be a flower icon or something similar. If so, then try that to take a close up, it'll give you much better details and less blurring. If that isn't an option than use a longer exposure and a tripod, or other way of keeping the camera AND brooch completely still. From the pictures you have so far it's impossible to see the mark clearly enough to even look for it online.

I would suggest taking it to a jewelry appraiser or antique dealer who specializes in antique jewelry, or maybe even french jewelry, and having them look at it. You might also be able to find a book or something of makers marks from mid-1800's france.
    bonniesbasement Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 11:30 AM

Thanks hheath - I did use my macro on the hallmark - it's super tiny and this is the best I could get. I'm trying to figure this out o my own - my jeweler doesn't know about antique stuff - and I don't have a super great jewelry antique person in my area... I usually have pretty good luck online but this one has me stumped.
    I'm trying to figure out the discharge mark - I can find a bunch of other ones, but not this one - I believe this is early Victorian jewelry... but am unsure about the "Paris" reference, and can't find anything similar. I certainly do appreciate your suggestions, though!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Antique Smith & Wesson revolver info needed [ 9 Answers ]

My great-uncle recently passed away and among his guns there is a revolver with a tip-up barrel. It is a .32 caliber with a 3 1/2" barrel, it is nickel plated with pearl grips and bears the serial number 58734. Along the top of the barrel it says Smith&Wesson Springfield, Mass. U.S.A. Pat'D Feb 20...

Antique Singer Sewing Machine. Info and value scale? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently purchased a singer sewing machine serial number G521788. It is in a small wooden four drawered cabinet with a black iron treddle. It is not electric. Is there anyone who can tell me the model # and/or a value scale, i.e... Is there a value range for worth if it is in poor, fair, average...

Antique silver tea set [ 5 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a silver tea set from an estate sale for my mother as a birthday gift. I am having and extremely hard time finding out about the silversmith mark on the pieces. I do not have any pictures as yet, but would like to see if anyone else might know, or have an idea, as to how...

Antique silver tea spoon sevvice set [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know when and where this was made I know it was made in england but not the maker or town the markings on the back are E.P.N.S. made england and in the shield it has RAENO I'm not sure what this means can anyone help me please also if anyone knows what it my be worth that would be helpful...

Info about a White Antique Sewing Machine [ 1 Answers ]

I recently acquired a White Family Rotary sewing machine, in the cabinet. I'm trying to figure out approximately how old it is. I saw another reader that has a White sewing machine that the serial number is a 568xxx series, believed to be from about 1886. The serial number on mine is 121093. I plan...

View more questions Search