Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doggery Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 07:54 AM
    I will file 1040 as resident alien, how to deal with 1042-S?
    This is my story.

In 2008, from Jan 1 to Sept 30, I was holding F1 (OPT) visa and after that H1 visa. And for my wife, F2 and H4 respectively.

I filed an extension, now I am filing 1040 RA jointly return with my wife, is this right?

Now I got a problem. I have a 1042-S form, How should I deal with it? I don't know where on the 1040 form I can input the information of 1042 form.

Another question, I came to US in August, 2004. Can I still benefit from the US-China $5000 treaty?

Thanks a lot.

Aug 6, 2009, 08:33 AM

Should I file 1040 or 1040EZ? Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 01:56 PM
    You enter the Form 1042-S income on Line #7 of Form 1040.

Yes, you CAN claim the $5,000 treaty exemption one last time in 2008 by showing it as a negative number on Line #21 of Form 1040.

Aug 6, 2009, 02:28 PM

Thank you very much, AtlantaTaxExpert. I have another question. I will write up a first year choice statemment. Is there any other statement I should write to file the married jointly as resident? The first year choice only ensure of part of the year's resident, how can file the married jointly as the resident for the whole year? Thanks a lot
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:14 AM
    The statement has to say that you and your wife BOTH qualify to file as resident aliens under First Year Choice for 2008 and that you DO choose to be treated as resident aliens for all of 2008.

Those are the two essential elements of the statement, which must have BOTH of your full names, SSNs (put ITIN Applied For if your are submitting a W-7 for your spouse), your mailing address and BOTH of your signatures.
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Aug 8, 2009, 02:29 AM

I filed an extension, now I am filing 1040 RA jointly return with my wife, is this right?

I would echo the comments by Atlanta, and would add some information.

If your asking, is it correct to file MFJ being a nonresident?

You can, but there are various rules that one can make this election under, and variying conditions under which these tests must be met. I'll list these rules individually to be clear.

Rule No. 1 Nonresident spouse treated as a resident: In this rule you or your spouse must be a resident for some part of 2008 or a citizens of the US.

You said in your statement that your F visas went until Sept 08, usually this means your both nonresidents for all of 2008, as you both don't meet the substantial presence test, to become residents. Therefore this test is not applicable to you for 2008.

Rule no.2 :First Year Choice
    This is the rule you mentioned in your second posting, and am assuming what your referring to.

"I will write up a first year choice statemment."

This is a unique election in that it allows you to be a resident in a prior year retroactively after
    The year is over, and you become a resident in the following year. There are distinctive timing rules to meet this test. So, I'm assuming your talking about having met the substantial presence test in 2009, your going back and electing to be treated as residents in 2008.

And yes, you appear to meet this rule, though I haven't added up the days. This rule computes your residency start date in 2008, you can't count the days however you held the F visas. So this choice wouldn't make you residents for the full year of 2008, at the most it would make you dual status aliens.

Also, this rule does not require a statement that you both be treated as residents for the entire year, as inherently it establishes residency start dates during the year. And the beginning definition of this rule, Pub 519, p.8 First Year Choice, states this rule allows you to be treated as a resident for part of the year. So, under this election you would never be able to be considered residents for the full year, and file MFJ returns.

However, there is another rule called:

Rule No. 3 Choosing Residenct Alien Status:
    (p.9,Pub 519)

This rule allows dual status aliens to file MFJ as residents for the full year, but whether you can combine the First Year Choice Rule that makes you a dual status alien, with this rule, that makes you a full year resident and file MFJ, I do not know. Clearly there is a rule for First Year Choice, and a rule for Choosing Resident Alien Status, each requiring different statements. You appear to be wanting to combine these rules and it is not inherently clear this is allowed.

Therefore, I would refer you to the IRS for verification on this topic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I am a Resident Alien w/ 1042-S form [ 5 Answers ]

I just realized I got a 1042-S tax form from university even though I am resident alien from this year on. I didn't work or anything and this form includes only gross income from full scholarship. To make it more clearly: Box 1: (Inc. code) - 15 Box 5: (tax rate) - 0.0 Box 6: (exmpt code) -...

How Do I File a 1042-S Form As A Resident Alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, In August 2008, I became a resident alien for tax purposes, which I guess makes me a dual-status alien. I have received a 1042-S form (income code 19, $0 withheld), but when doing my taxes with Turbotax, I was not able to find a place to provide the information given in the form. I have...

1042-S but resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a resident alien for tax purposes as I have been in US as a student since 2002 but have a 1042-S form. How do I report this income in 1040 form? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Can I file as a Resident Alien or Non Resident Alien (1040 or 1040 NR) [ 4 Answers ]

I landed for first time in US on 10 Oct 2007 on H1B visa and my wife came to US on 02 November on H4 Visa. I will be staying here for may be at least one year. I am confused as which form should I use 1040NR or 1040, Substantial presence test has confused me a bit. When will I pass this test, and...

Me-->Resident alien; My wife-->Dual status, Can I file 1040 [ 3 Answers ]

Dear All; I have a question. As I am here in the US more than 5 years under F-1 visa, I am considered resident for tax purposes. However my wife is dual status alien(Thanks to Atlanta Tax expert for the sticky, she passes all 3 requirements) Can I file regular resident return married filing...

View more questions Search