Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seabiscuit1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 07:24 AM
    Kitchen countertop
    Can I put ceramic tile over a formed formica counter top
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 6, 2009, 07:30 AM

You can although formica just doesn't give the tile mortar much to hold onto even if you rough it up. I suppose you could use adheisve rather than mortar but I think over time you will be unhappy.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 11:34 AM

Aside from the fact that thin set will not bond to mica, u will have a problem finishing at front edge because of roll and where counter top and back splash meet because it is not a square cut.

Chuck
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Aug 6, 2009, 12:43 PM

You can tile over the formica countertop. I did over 7 years ago and it's doing just fine. Sand the formica with coarse sandpaper and apply 2 coats of oil-based kilz-it.
    I used cap tiles for the rounded edges and the backsplash. Do a dry layout of your tile and try to get the least amount of cuts. I did have to cut a small piece of tile for the backsplash using a small wet saw. Use thinset. It can be premixed but don't use the one that's for adhering and also grouting. It won't hold up to water.
    Name:  IMG_0268.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  32.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0276.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0273.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0275.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  39.5 KB
    If you have any questions you can contact me at [email protected].
    Good Luck!
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 6, 2009, 01:05 PM

Patty that looks great, I woudnt have tried it but it looks great! GOOD JOB :D

Aug 6, 2009, 01:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ac101 View Post
    Patty that looks great, I woudnt have tried it but it looks great!! GOOD JOB :D
    I'm waiting for it to "FAIL" so I can replace with something else... no granite... everyone is getting granite!! Something different.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 03:45 AM

Hi Patty

I agree with as101, looks very nice.

From the pictures it appears that front edge of counter is square cut. Also where counter top meets 4'' back splash it square cut.

Molded tops have a slight rise at front and small radius at back. This will be a problem for fitting tile.

Chuck

Aug 8, 2009, 02:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creahands View Post
    Hi Patty

I agree with as101, looks very nice.

From the pictures it appears that front edge of counter is square cut. Also where counter top meets 4'' back splash it square cut.

Molded tops have a slight rise at front and small radius at back. This will be a problem for fitting tile.

Chuck
    It does and the tile was applied to a molded countertop. One of my friends also did this to his kitchen twice since his wife wanted a different color. Using the smaller tiles with the mesh on the back made it work. I do many things that people say can't be done like painting interior concrete floors.

Aug 8, 2009, 02:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    It does and the tile was applied to a molded countertop. One of my friends also did this to his kitchen twice since his wife wanted a different color. Using the smaller tiles with the mesh on the back made it work. I do many things that people say can't be done like painting interior concrete floors.
    These are the pictures of painted concrete. The living room has had a piano moved across it with no damage and the kitchen survived the refrigerator and stove being slid into place.
    Name:  IMG_0652.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  75.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0653.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  60.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0664.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  85.3 KB

Name:  IMG_0010.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  78.8 KB

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlet covers for kitchen countertop [ 1 Answers ]

What type of electrical cover is used for kitchen countertops, similar to an island top? Has anyone heard of a tombstone electrical covers? Do these type of outlet covers meet code standards? How far apart should they be?

Kitchen Faucet install on Granite Countertop [ 1 Answers ]

I have an American Standard 6425 Series faucet I am trying to install at our kitchen sink. We just recently installed granite countertops. The hot and cold water stems to the faucet are not long enough to accommodate the retaining nuts and also create a sufficient seal on the feed hoses. I...

Wooden countertop for kitchen [ 4 Answers ]

I've bought an old cabin in Pacific NW. I'd like to keep the cabin charm, but add some modern appliances. However, I'd like to have wooden countertops and island top. I've seen it in friend's log cabin houses. Mine is open floorplan, 10x13' kitchen, countertop in 'L' config. 2 sides plus island...

Best finish to put on a wooden kitchen countertop [ 1 Answers ]

What would be the best finish to put on a wooden countertop? I was told that tung oil is better than mineral oil. :o

View more questions Search