Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jprodla Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2004, 01:43 PM
    System won't boot

I was online one night, and suddenly my PC froze. When I restarted it, it would not boot. There are no beeps. Both CD drive and CDRW flash, fan is working... but does not display, not even a blue screen.

Any ideas? Bad CPU, Motherboard?

Please advise, thank you.
    J.
    sunrat Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2004, 05:11 PM
    Re: System won't boot
    Almost definitely a hardware problem. You need to test RAM, power supply,hard drive, CPU, possibly graphics card, and motherboard. Swap with good ones if possible.
    Also, if you can get hold of it, try to run Knoppix Linux. It's an OS that runs directly from your CD drive and can test your PC if the hard drive or Windows is broken. Won't help if the BIOS deosn't load ,though.
    http://www.knoppix.net/
    shadowdr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2004, 09:24 PM
    System won't boot
    If it has an award bios try,booting while holding the delete key.If it doesn't start,continue holding delete and pressing reset.Try that a few times.If that doesn't work unplug from wall for a few minutes and try the above again.

If that still does not work you should try resetting the cmos jumper.It should be three pins with a jumper on two of them(check the manual for it's location).unplug from the wall socket and remove the side,ground yourself by touching a metal part of the frame and remove the jumper from the two pins it is on and place on the other and middle pin for a few seconds.remove and replace as it was.It should now start with default bios settings.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

May 4, 2004, 11:16 PM
    Re: System won't boot
    If the cmos reset doesn't help, try disconnecting ALL nonessential hardware, including the hard drive and any unneeded sticks of RAM.

Then try a boot floppy or CD-ROM (see knoppix link above, it's very good :) ).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC won't boot [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, When trying to boot the following error displays:“lsass.exe could not be found". When booting from the repair disc, it hangs. Running Windows XP. Any suggestions? Thanks Thanks guys, I ended up doing a fresh format and install.

Dual boot [ 3 Answers ]

I was dual booting win 2000 and xp then I removed 2000 but when my computer boots the message select the operating system to start still apears how do I get rid of this

Won't boot from CD-R [ 9 Answers ]

My computer is a dell 5100 inspiron. It has a cd-r/w dvd-rom combo drive (HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4241N). I can't boot from a cd-r,regular cds are fine, also I get the same thing in windows. I did firmware update and bios update. I have run out of ideas. PLEASE HELP!!

Can't see my p.c boot up [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I can't see my computor boot up until it reach's the log in window for windows xp. And then the moniter turns on. i.e I can't get into the bios because I can't see anything. I've installed the correct graphics card driver... Any ideas? :cool:

How do I increase H2O pressure on well system with a water filtration system? [ 2 Answers ]

Howdy, I would like to know how I can increase my water pressure. My current system uses a well pump with a small pressure tank, and "D" control valve. It then runs through a WATERSOFT filtration tank, RAINSOFT water softner, and on the Hot water side, an AQUASTAR on demand hot water system. I...

View more questions Search