Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    give2me1lemons Posts: 203, Reputation: 12

Aug 5, 2009, 08:48 PM
    Tylenol Overdose
    This isn't really an addiction, but I'm not sure where else to put it.

So last night I took nine tylenol extra strengths (500mg each). I know I shouldn't, and I don't do it often. Just every once in a while something upsets me when I am already overwhelemed/tired, and I just want to do something drastic and potentially dangerous. The only other time I take more than the recommended amount is if my cramps are bad, I may take four.

I used to mess with benadryl due to my developing bad, persistent allegergies when I was 14 or 15. It wasn't with an intent to get high. I stopped after the hallucinations and because it made me feel like crap. So I know I can stop being stupid about tylenol as well.

So my question is, how likely is it I've done any long term damage to my body? And what may I have harmed? Liver? Kidneys? Brain? Should I have myself checked to make sure I'm okay? Or is it enough if I stop? Because I'm still sincerely concerned I hurt myself with the benadryl, and the most I ever took of that was six.

Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2009, 09:14 PM

The liver is damage with Tylenol (Acetamenophin). It would be wise to have a liver function test done.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 11:12 PM

Tylenol (also called acetaminophen) is the number one cause of liver failure in the united states. Liver failure is deadly. The treatment for liver failure is a liver transplant--if you can get a liver. You are playing russian roulette with a drug that is not safe.

You need a safer way to deal both with your stress and your cramps.
    So go see an gynecologist and say you've been taking too much acetaminophen; get a liver function test; tell the doctor about your cramps.

Then ask about seeing someone about your difficulty dealing with stress. Do NOT let anyone prescribe an anti-anxiety medication such as valium or Xanax. With your tendencies, you don't want to be anywhere near anything that dangerous or addictive. I'm thinking counseling, exercise, and meditation would be better options.

What kinds of things upset and overwhelm you so much that you reach for the tylenol?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 05:03 AM

Try and find other more natural things to relieve stress like vitamin B complex, drinking herbal tea such as chamomile, soaking in a tub of warm/hot water, listening to relaxing music, burning lavender or sandalwood candles.

If you feel you really need the Tylenol try taking one every 10 to 20 minutes until you start feeling better because it takes that long for them to kick in.
    There is no reason to be taking 9 at once (don't know if that is how you did do it)

Aug 6, 2009, 05:55 AM
    I took 9 in about an hour. I took 5, got a shower, then took 4, because I really wasn't sure I wanted to risk that much. I knew I shouldn't and was kind of afraid I might not wake up because I don't know how much is enough to kill you (not my goal), but I was upset. Part of me wanted to punish myself and part of me wanted a break from myself and my thoughts.

Last time I did this was a week ago when I took a cocktail (3 tylenol extra strength, 3 alieve, 2 asprin). That was because I was in cramped living quarters late one night on vacation with family and it set off my germ anxiety. I was also upset because of the lack of privacy and personal space-I'm not a big fan of crowds.

I usually do it when I feel like a horrible person. Either because of something I did, past or present, or because something reminds me I'm not happy with myself.

When I did it two nights ago it was because someone died recently who everyone loved but me due to something that may or may not have happened in the past between us. It made me feel horrible for almost getting him in trouble when everyone else thinks he's an angel, and I still don't know what really happened because I was 12 and confused and lost what I thought happened very quickly. I was upset that I almost hurt someone without all the facts and that I'll never know what really happened because he's dead and he's the only one that would know what happened, if anything.

And my cramps are no longer really an issue as I started birth control a few months ago. It seems to have helped.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2009, 06:01 AM

You need to find some constructive ways of dealing with things.
    Maybe read up on books that have to do with self improvement and improving self image and find hobbies that calm you.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 6, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Have you begun to seek counseling for your problems? This might just be the way to go for you rather than to wreak havoc on your liver.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 07:41 AM

I agree that counseling would be a good idea. BUT I think you should take some care in picking the right counselor--someone you feel comfortable with. I read some of your previous posts and it sounds like you haven't felt well treated by some of the doctors you've seen.

As for the recent death, it sounds like you might be saying you think you may have been subject to some sexual abuse (or other mistreatment) but you are not sure. If that's true, I can see why this person's death and the praise heaped on the person would be really upsetting. I hope that you can find a way to talk about this issue in a way that feel safe to you. I am getting that you can't talk to family about it, at least not now. Is it possible for you to see a psychologist? If not, you can talk here.

The feelings you are talking about -- feeling overwhelmed, unheard, anger turned on yourself--I can understand. It sounds like you are a bit depressed. But it also sounds like you may have some good reasons for feeling that way--i.e. you may want to plan how to make your life better for you rather than just taking a pill to make the feelings go away. That's something you can explore here, too, if you want.

I do hope you will stop taking large amounts of Tylenol when you are stressed.

Aug 6, 2009, 09:25 AM
    I go to college next week at a major university with a hospital. I can probably do the liver function test, if it is really necessary, or at least get a consult.

I'm not entirely sure my issues warrant therapy, and I wouldn't know what to say. The tylenol and other past problems you may have read, I plan to prevent by cutting myself off. For example, I can't be tempted to overdose on tylenol if I don't have it. There are other remedies for headaches and things; I don't need medicine. It's just so easy here. I think I can fix things myself, I just wanted to know if there's a decent chance I hurt my body being stupid.

But if I do one day decide my problems are bad enough that I need therapy, my university provides it for free. At least initially.

My mom, at least, knows about the issue with that guy. Not that he's dead, but back when it first happened, I told her my concern and she insisted on calling the school. That upset me and I threatened to never tell her anything ever again and made her call them back and tell them I was wrong and I misunderstood. However, they insisted on talking to me anyway. I talked to the assistant principal not even five minutes, didn't even sit down, and the matter was dropped. I'm hoping he never found out about it, because I was 12 and I'm naturally sensitive, so I probably completely overreacted and it was a big misunderstanding. All I know is that he made me uncomfortable and I was terrified of him, but I can't say if what I thought happened happened or if my fears were warranted.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 10:03 AM

I wasn't there, but you sound perceptive and articulate, and I think a healthy, normal interaction with an adult male should not make any student feel terrified or uncomfortable. My gut feeling is that you had some reason to be uncomfortable and afraid of him. Trust yourself.

Edit: Lots of people with inappropriate tendencies are good at concealing their behavior and becoming very popular with other people.

Glad to hear you have access to good medical care if you want it. There are safer alternatives to acetaminophen, including ibuprofen and aspirin. Of course, large doses of ibuprofen are bad for your kidneys and too much aspirin can lead to ulcers. The key is moderation. All the NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve) work in approximately the same way. Acetaminophen is somewhat different.

Last month the Food and Drug Administration issued a warning about acetaminophen overdose and liver damage and also lowered the maximum daily safe dose from 4000 mg to 2600 mg. Acetaminophen is mixed into lots of other medicines, so it's easy to take more than you intend. Since you took 9 X 500 mg. that's 4500 mg, exceeding the old limit as well as the new one. There are cases of people having liver failure even while NOT exceeding the old recommended maximum dosage (that is 4000). So I really think you should get tested, especially if you have done this repeatedly.

Here's a story about this from the Philadelphia Inquirer.
    FDA panel backs cut in maximum Tylenol dosage | Philadelphia Inquirer | 07/01/2009

The advisory panel recommended decreasing the maximum daily dose to 2,600 milligrams from 4,000 milligrams. A single pill of a medication such as Extra Strength Tylenol is 500 milligrams.

The FDA cited research showing that acetaminophen overdoses led to 56,000 emergency-room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and 458 deaths from 1990 through 1998.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2009, 10:14 AM

[QUOTE = artlady]artlady agrees: New studies have made it clear that this is one OTC med that should be taken with more caution.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. But not all the data suggesting that acetaminophen/Tylenol is risky is that new. "32 years"!

The connection between acetaminophen and liver damage has been on the FDA's radar screen for years. The consumer-advocacy group Public Citizen has been pushing the FDA to reduce recommended doses of the drug since at least 2002.

Sidney Wolfe, director of Public Citizen Health Research Group and a member of the FDA panel that voted yesterday, said a similar panel first had recommended adding a warning about the risk of liver damage to labels of drugs containing acetaminophen 32 years ago.

The FDA finally insisted on those warnings in April, a precursor to yesterday's recommendation on dosage.

Wolfe said that he wasn't sure why the action had taken so long, but guessed that industry pressure on the FDA had played a role.

Aug 6, 2009, 07:22 PM
    Well, I don't think I do it that much. Twice in two weeks was probably coincidence, but I can't be sure how much I have done it. I will get checked though, just because it would be nice not to have to worry about it anymore. By law, they can't do anything but give advice and treat me, correct?

And I'm on my parents insurance, so would they find out about it?

Thank you, everyone.

Aug 25, 2009, 05:10 AM
    I took 14 last night.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 25, 2009, 05:31 AM
    Tylenol causes liver damage.

Please follow this thread...

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bereav...en-387412.html

Have you planned your funeral?

Aug 25, 2009, 05:37 AM
    She killed herself? Accidental overdose? Liver disease?

I don't know what I was trying to do exactly. I just know that I'm a little scared right now. I keep raising the bar.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 05:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by give2me1lemons View Post
    She killed herself? Accidental overdose? Liver disease?

I don't know what I was trying to do exactly. I just know that I'm a little scared right now. I keep raising the bar.
    You need to seek psychological help. What you are doing is akin to cutting yourself or other means of self harm.

Tylonol is not a drug of abuse... its not an addiction. Its something probably more severe.

Please get professional help.

Aug 25, 2009, 06:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    You need to seek psychological help. What you are doing is akin to cutting yourself or other means of self harm.

Tylonol is not a drug of abuse... its not an addiction. Its something probably more severe.

Please get professional help.

I have a history of cutting/burning.

The idea of actually sitting down next to someone with the power to do something and with no idea of the possible consequences of subjecting to myself to such a person; is very intimidating.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by give2me1lemons View Post
    I have a history of cutting/burning.

The idea of actually sitting down next to someone with the power to do something and with no idea of the possible consequences of subjecting to myself to such a person; is very intimidating.
    Unless you pose a clear threat to yourself or others, they have no power. Seeking help shows you are interested in health, not death.

Aug 25, 2009, 08:28 AM
    I wouldn't be considered a threat to myself if I occasionally cut or od on tylenol?

I need to change, but I wouldn't even know where to begin.
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2009, 08:50 AM

A dozen Tylenol isn't going to kill you - at least not quickly. It will slowly though. But it appears as though time is making this worse for you.

The place to begin is speaking to a professional. Either medical or school counselor that can get you the help you need. It might not be possible to help yourself right now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Possible overdose [ 1 Answers ]

I was having very bad neck and sholder pain and I have liquid vicodin and 400mg of iburpofen. I took both 2 400mg pills of ibuprofen and 25 ml of vicodin at the same time I'm worried that I may have harmed myself is this OK?

Tylenol PM. [ 4 Answers ]

i was just wondering. I took 2 Tylenol PM pills last night. And i told my friend i did, and she got worried & said it's dangerous too take that many :eek: But my question is; how many Tylenol PM can you take without overdose. I'm just wondering. Nothing Serious. Thanks :)

Overdose on atenolol [ 8 Answers ]

Hello Dears, I want to know what will happen to a person after a overdose on ATENOLOL (100 tablets of atenolol 100 mg) ? Is death trenchant and 100% certain ?:confused:

Had too much tylenol [ 1 Answers ]

So I was very depressed last night and called my friend but she wasn't available and then for some stupid reason I decided to take half a bottle of tylenol I'm not sure how many I took because I just emptied the bottle it could've been 20 or so but nothing has happened to me so far except I get...

My dog ate Tylenol [ 4 Answers ]

Okay so my 2.5 year old cocker Spaniel got into a bottle of Tylenol... I don't know how much she ate if anything at all, most of them seemed to be licked because of the raspberry (easy to swallow) coating on it. I was searching for other answers online and found this for someone who's 9 month...

View more questions Search