Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    455rocket Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2009, 08:38 AM
    Cosigner of a lease
    Last year, my friend was going through a divorce. When my friend tried to move into an apartment, the only way she would be able to do so is if she had a cosigner. Her ex-husband had screwed up her credit. So, trying to help a friend out, I offered to co-sign on the rental agreement. I did not reside in her apartment, only cosigned so she can move in and get away from an abusive spouse.

Now, I find out she is being evicted from her apartment as a result of her ex-husband and another tenant were involved in an altercation resulting in the tenant receiving a black eye and bloody nose. Management asked her to leave.

Since I only cosigned on the agreement, how will this situation affect me?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2009, 08:44 AM

You can be sued for any unpaid rents owed. You can be held liable for any damages to the property.
    hotchkiss Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2009, 08:35 PM
    My dad said he will co sign for me for a apartment it is a month to month lease and he only wants too do it for six months after six months or less can he get off being the cosigner??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get out of being a cosigner [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I helped a so called friend cosigned a loan for 7500.00 two years ago, now they have been late and over due payments seven times now. Is affecting my credit every time. I just got another call today about 29 days late. I do not talk to this person any more. I cannot afford to take over...

Cosigner in rental lease [ 2 Answers ]

If you sign a lease agreement as a cosigner and not a separate cosigner agreement and are verbally told that it will remain in effect for 1 year after that you are not liable, then the person you cosign for never ends up signing a new lease after the year expires but ends up behind in rent and gets...

Cosigner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is lilj my questions is well my mom cosigned on my car .I put the down payment on the car and I been paying the payments on the car. She tell me that she coming to get my car from me can she really do that to me after all I paid on car.

View more questions Search