Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juanv225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 01:06 AM
    Partial Rent Payments and Late Fees
    I live in VA and my landlord accepts what I would call "partial" payments on monthly rent. I write a rent check and my roommate writes a check for each part. Our lease is a "simple terms" lease and states the following under the Late Fees:

"If you fail to pay the rent in full before the end of the 5th day of the month, you will pay us, as additional rent, a late fee of 10% of the monthly rent after the 5th of the month. The late fee is due on the 6th of the month. We do not waive the right to require payment of the rent in full on the date it is due."

My question is that if one of our checks bounces, should we be required to pay the 10% of the entire base rent or just the rent check that bounced? To me, it does not clearly state that 10% is only of what was unpaid.

Someone please help!! I need answers right away.
    Ace High Posts: 191, Reputation: 22

Oct 22, 2006, 05:46 AM
    "The Rent" is a designated amount agreed upon by both parties. (the landlord and tenant) Any disagreements would be based on the full amount unless specifically written otherwise. If I had a roommate who bounced a check causing the fee to happen, I would have that roommate pay the fee. --- Ace
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Oct 23, 2006, 06:16 AM
    Yes - your rent was late. In VA, the lease document rules as there are no statutes on late rent fees/charges.

In my lease, you would owe a late fee AND a NSF check fee.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2006, 06:21 AM
    Just to makje sure we're clear here. A rental is not considered paid until paid in full. Therefore, if any portion of the rent is unpaid, the entire rent is late.

So the rental would be late and a full late charge of 10% of the entire amount is due.

But I agree with Ace, the roommate that bounced the check should pay the 10%.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where's the partial clog? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, we're having a problem with a partial clog. When the washing machine empties, the back master bathroom toilet bubbles violently and we smell sewer gasses. There is a hall bathroom which is next to the laundry room, and that toilet's water will only waver and not bubble. However, most of the...

Partial Inheritance [ 3 Answers ]

I am the personal rep for my fathers estate. I heard that I can make an early partial distribution of inheritance as long as I have it documented and obtain reciepts from the beneficiaries. It would amount to half of the estimated estate value. The balance would come with the sale of the house...

Late fees [ 7 Answers ]

I live in a small town in California and recently sent in my payment for utilities (water, garbage and sewer). The bill was due on the 9th and I mailed it on the 6th. I just got a bill in the mail for $25 stating that I paid late. The total of the original bill was $65. Is it legal to charge...

Eviction vs Late Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Just wondering real quick if a landlord in the state of Ca can evict a tenant due to unpaid late fees even though rent itself has been paid? Or rather, can a landlord apply money given for rent, towards late fees, and then evict a tenant because all the rent has not been paid? Thanks in...

View more questions Search