Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Olivia D Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 11:57 PM
    Want to be a teacher, should I get a degree in education or in something else first?
    Hello,
    I have just graduated school with an IB diploma, and right now I want to be a teacher. However I don't know if I will still want to be a teacher in a few years time even though now it really appeals to me.
    Should I study to become a teacher and get a degree in education? Or should I get a degree in something else such as geography, which I find interesting, and then get a minor in education if at the end of 4 years I still want to do that profession?
    Thank you!
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 5, 2009, 12:05 AM

First, decide if teaching is for you.

Most teachers don't realize they don't want to do it until they first step foot into a classroom, 3 years or so into their degree/certification.

The best way to do this is get into a classroom -- first as an observer, then as a student-teacher, or an intern, or a volunteer of some kind.

Also, there are fewer and fewer jobs in recent years. Research where the jobs are still available. I know a lot of people who have degree/certification in hand, and no jobs to speak of.

As for your question, there are great dual programs where you major in a content area and simultaneously prepare for an education career.

If you can't find one of those, content is the most important thing ^on paper^, especially in the eyes of someone hiring. However, ^in person^ they want to see that you are someone kids could talk to/listen to, so the education degree will help once you have an interview.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 4, 2010, 10:54 PM

Colleges that wait 3 years to give you classroom experience are most likely not very good ones and you need to ask yourself if that college is properly preparing you for a career in teaching.

With that being said, teaching is not a degree, it is a certification. Many of the colleges with solid teaching programs will require you to choose a major, like geography or math, and have you take teaching classes at the same time to earn your teaching certification. My major was history and I graduated from my bachelor's program with a dual certification in general ed. k-6 and special education.

Times are tough and finding a teaching job is tough too. But by the time you finish your program the economy could be on the uptick. Also, don't be afraid to commute or even move to get a job. If you're flexible finding a job will be easier.

I would take the classes for your teaching certification during your undergraduate work. Make sure you also get certified to teach special education. If your state requires a master's degree to keep your teaching certification, like in NY, you should also go for something related to education. I chose literacy. This way you will be as marketable as possible.
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Mar 5, 2010, 04:12 PM

By classroom experience, I mean actually planning and executing lessons. Observations and "helping" are nice for context and philosophical considerations, but the people who actually decide teaching isn't for them, almost always make that decision when they are student-teaching (which is almost always in the 3rd or 4th year).

I agree that teaching has a certification process, but it is its own content area, and in most colleges, requires substantial coursework, whether they call it a "certification," a "minor," a "dual program," or a major. It's not just some paperwork.

Most importantly, I would be very careful about the job market. Unlike the rest of the economy, teaching resists recessions. The reason there are few jobs has almost nothing to do with the economy, but rather with the cycle of retirements. The giant teaching boom of the early 70's resulted in another boom in early 2000s. Most of that hiring is over, and with tenure, most teachers stay where they are. So, my advice, again, is to be sure to see whether teachers in an area are young or older. Older=retirements=jobs for you.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 27, 2010, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post

I agree that teaching has a certification process, but it is its own content area, and in most colleges, requires substantial coursework, whether they call it a "certification," a "minor," a "dual program," or a major. It's not just some paperwork.
    You are correct, it's much more than just paperwork. I was just trying to convey that many good colleges will not let you choose teaching as a major. You do have to take many classes, including observations and student teaching, in addition to a major. It's basically a second major.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What else to do with a special education degree [ 4 Answers ]

I graduated in May with a degree in special education. I liked working with kids with disabilities and thought maybe I was good at it. I got all As, did well during student teaching, but I can't land a job anywhere. I think maybe I do bad during interviews or maybe I just wasn't met to be a...

A Degree in Education [ 5 Answers ]

Hello to all educators out there! May I please ask you, what do you think would be better: a bachelor's degree in elementary education or a bachelor's degree in teaching English? They're both very appealing to me, but I have a lot of trouble deciding. I'd love to have your opinion! Thanks in...

Teacher education [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm searching for the topics related to teacher education especially in-service teacher education.

Education/Degree Verification [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to find out in davance whether an employer will try verify education/degrees for applicants? Is there a standard for this, particularly among municipal employers?

View more questions Search